1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Concepts

1. Dec 19, 2003 #1
    How am I supposed to figure out these concepts? No problems to do, but I'm just not understanding the material/concepts? anyone care to explain/teach me?

5.) Weight of a man who is throwing a bag of potatoes?

7/8) Net acceleration of a body on a curved path

10) Kinetic energy of a rocket after firing its engine

14) Acceleration of a point on a wheel

18) kinetic enregy expressed in terms of momentum

19) distance traveled & energy lost by skier

20) escape speed for spacecraft

21) tension and agular speed of a rock on a string

22) trajectories after a football tackle

23) power wasted by falling water
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2003 #2
    The weight of the man does not increase. However, the normal force exerted by the ground on the man increases. This is because the man must exert a force F on the potatoes to throw it into the air. The potatoes exert the same force F on the man. So the net force acting on the man is his weight W plus F. Since the man does not accelerate, the normal force must be the same. So the man may feel heavier, but his weight is the same.

I need more information than this. ANY body can be said to be traveling on a curved path.

Again, I can't describe this without more information. Is the speed constant?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?