1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - conservative forces

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    2. at t=0 the particle is at rest x=12. after is release it can move under influence of conservative force whose potential energy is shown in the diagram. what is the position of the left turning point for this particle?

ans: At the moment, Im not sure how to convert his graph to visualize the position of the particle, in order to find the left turning point. All i see is at x=12, the U is 4J. what can i do with this?

attached is the diagram.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Use conservation of energy. At x=12, it has all of its energy in the form of PE, and no KE. Upon release, as it is moving through the different positions, it will have a combination of PE and KE (think of a rollercoaster). As long as PE (U in that diagram) is less than the original value, there will be KE and the particle will continue to move. There is only one location in that graph where the particle will regain all of the original PE. At this point, it will no longer have any KE and it will momentarily stop, before reversing its motion. That's the turning point.

I don't think I need to tell you where this point is, do I?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?