Physics Contest Question

The changing mass and the different frames of reference can make it confusing.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving twins running in opposite directions on a cart. The solution involves considering the changing mass and frame of reference, and ultimately concludes that answer B is correct. The speaker also acknowledges the difficulty of conceptualizing this problem and encourages further exploration.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

9fhgB.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was that since one of the twins runs east at top speed (with both masses) then the cart moves west and then he jumps off. Then after the second twin runs with the same speed west, the cart (with only one mass this time and the same speed) would move east, and he'd jump off. So I decided that B should be the answer. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know my intuition isn't good for this one! Definitely worth working out. Beware of the changing mass and the difficult choices for frame of reference.

whoareyou said:

Homework Statement

9fhgB.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was that since one of the twins runs east at top speed (with both masses) then the cart moves west and then he jumps off. Then after the second twin runs with the same speed west, the cart (with only one mass this time and the same speed) would move east, and he'd jump off. So I decided that B should be the answer. Is that correct?

I think that is the correct answer, but can you articulate why?

What is a "Physics Contest Question"?

A "Physics Contest Question" is a question or problem that is designed to assess a person's understanding and knowledge of physics. It may involve applying concepts, principles, and equations to solve a specific problem or scenario.

How can I prepare for a Physics Contest?

To prepare for a Physics Contest, it is important to have a solid understanding of fundamental physics concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of physics problems and familiarize yourself with common formulas and equations.

What types of questions can I expect in a Physics Contest?

Physics Contest Questions can vary in difficulty and format, but they typically involve multiple choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. They may also require you to analyze data, make predictions, and explain concepts.

Are there any tips for solving Physics Contest Questions?

Some useful tips for solving Physics Contest Questions include carefully reading and understanding the question, identifying relevant concepts and equations, and organizing your work and calculations neatly. It is also important to check your answer and units for accuracy.

What are the benefits of participating in a Physics Contest?

Participating in a Physics Contest can help improve your problem-solving skills, deepen your understanding of physics concepts, and provide valuable experience for future academic or career pursuits in the field of physics. Additionally, it can be a fun and challenging way to test your knowledge and compete with others who share a passion for physics.