Physics: Converging and Diverging Lenses

In summary, converging lenses cause light rays to converge at a single point after passing through the lens, while diverging lenses cause light rays to diverge. The shape of a lens affects its ability to converge or diverge light, with more curved lenses having a greater effect. The focal point of a lens is where parallel light rays converge or diverge after passing through the lens. The distance between an object and a lens affects the size and orientation of the image produced. Converging and diverging lenses have various real-life applications, such as in cameras, eyeglasses, and scientific instruments.
casiocasio442
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: I cannot seem to get the answer to the following question.
For (a) I am using the formula 1/V= 1/U- 1/F, giving me 7.5cm. I am then adding this to 50cm to get 57.5cm. I then used -1/20-1/57.5-1/v to get **-14.9cm** which is Incorrect.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 17.10.11.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try drawing the ray diagrams to give you an idea of what the answer should be. That might help you think about what you need to do to actually calculate it.

Have you tried 14.8?

What is the difference between converging and diverging lenses?

Converging lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge or come together. Diverging lenses, on the other hand, are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge or spread apart.

How do converging and diverging lenses affect the path of light?

Converging lenses cause parallel light rays to converge at a focal point after passing through the lens. Diverging lenses cause parallel light rays to appear to diverge from a focal point behind the lens.

What are the characteristics of images formed by converging and diverging lenses?

Converging lenses can form real or virtual images, depending on the placement of the object in relation to the focal point. Diverging lenses always form virtual images that are smaller and upright compared to the object.

How do you calculate the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens can be calculated using the formula: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the distance from the object to the lens, and di is the distance from the lens to the image.

What are some real-life applications of converging and diverging lenses?

Converging lenses are used in cameras, telescopes, and magnifying glasses to create enlarged and focused images. Diverging lenses are used in eyeglasses and binoculars to correct vision and make objects appear smaller.