Physics conversion problem ?

• Thread starter J.live
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the electron-volt (eV) is a unit of energy that is equivalent to 1.602 x 10^-19 joules. Nuclear physicists typically use MeV/c as the unit of momentum for nuclei, where c is the speed of light. In these units, the mass of a proton is 938.3 MeV/c^2. To find the momentum of a proton in units of MeV/c, we can use the equation p = mv, where m is the mass of the proton and v is its velocity. Since the proton is moving at 18,646 km/s, we can convert its velocity to meters per second and then
J.live
The electron-volt, eV, is a unit of energy (1 eV = 1.602 10^-19 J, 1 MeV = 1.602 x 10^-13 J). Since the unit of momentum is an energy unit divided by a velocity unit, nuclear physicists usually specify momenta of nuclei in units of MeV/c, where c is the speed of light (c = 2.998 108 m/s). In the same units, the mass of a proton (1.673 · 10^−27 kg) is given as 938.3 MeV/c2. If a proton moves with a speed of 18,646 km/s, what is its momentum in units of MeV/c?
The attempt at a solution

I know the rule of the forum is I have to attempt the problem before someone can help me. But, honestly I don't know how to initiate this problem. I have tried but failed.

It will be appreciated if someone can at least show me the procedure if not the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of pc, where p is the momentum of the proton?

What is pc? I don't see any pc in the given problem :/

bump :/

J.live said:
What is pc? I don't see any pc in the given problem :/

There is a pc in the problem, you just don't see it yet. Determine the units of this quantity and you should have a strong hint about how to get the answer you're looking for.

Hint: 1 MeV/c = 1.602x10-13 J/(3x108 m/s)

1. What is a physics conversion problem?

A physics conversion problem is a mathematical calculation that involves converting a measurement from one unit to another. This is commonly used in the field of physics to convert between units of measurement such as meters to feet or kilograms to pounds.

2. Why is it important to know how to solve physics conversion problems?

Physics conversion problems are important because they allow us to communicate measurements in a universal way. By converting measurements to a standard unit, we can compare values and make accurate predictions in various experiments and real-world applications.

3. What are some common units used in physics conversion problems?

Some common units used in physics conversion problems include distance (meters, feet, kilometers), time (seconds, minutes, hours), mass (kilograms, pounds, grams), and temperature (Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin).

4. How do you solve a physics conversion problem?

To solve a physics conversion problem, you first need to identify the given measurement and the unit it is in. Then, determine the desired unit you want to convert to. Use conversion factors or dimensional analysis to convert the measurement to the desired unit. Finally, check your work by making sure the units cancel out and the final answer is in the correct unit.

5. What are some tips for solving physics conversion problems?

Some tips for solving physics conversion problems include: identifying the given and desired units, using dimensional analysis, memorizing common conversion factors, and checking your work for accuracy. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or write out the conversion steps to keep track of the units.