1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Course Help!

1. May 30, 2004 #1
    Physics Course Help!

Note: If you don’t like reading, skip down to the bold part.

Please bear with me here --- any help is greatly appreciated. I am a high school who will be attending Cornell University next fall and will be majoring in physics. My junior year of high school I took AP Physics B (5), the physics SAT II (800), and AP Calculus BC (5). As you can see, my physics and mathematics foundations are solid, however, this is where things get a little hazy. Last summer between my junior and senior year I took the intro calc-based mechanics course at Cornell --- the one for engineers and non-majors. I did fine it the class but it was crammed into a 6-week session and it was just a non-calc review. This last year I “taught” myself the calc based E&M part so I could take the Physics C: E&M exam. However I didn’t really teach myself well at all as I had 6 other AP’s. I took one practice exam and got a 5 on it --- enough to get credit at Cornell ---- but it was because of my solid background in non-calc physics not actual calc-based physics. So here is my dilemma: as with every major university, Cornell has an honors sequence for physics majors (classes I did NOT take). I feel that my calc-based foundation in physics is shaky so I want to take the placement examination when I get there. As with every major university, Cornell uses Kleppner and Kolenkow for honors mechanics and Purcell for honors E&M; I have both of these textbooks. Here is my problem. I’m using MIT’s OpenCourseWare as a guide to what problems I need to do out of these textbooks but I don’t know how I can check the answers! Is there a solution’s manual out there?

I just realized that the majority of this post is pointless and should be directed to the Cornell physics department. My brain is still down at the beach drinking Newcastle 24/7! :smile:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted