• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics/CS double major

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey guys, I just started my second semester of a physics degree at a fairly unknown university. Anyway, due to AP credits and some community college classes I took in HS, it seems to me that with some careful planning I can finish the degree in ~2 -2.5 years. I was debating on whether or not a second degree in something like CS would be useful, I am still financially supported by my parents (at least for a few more years) and they are pushing me to finish the degree as soon as possible, but they aren't totally against me getting a second degree.

Some relavant info - I am about 85% sure I want to finish a PhD in physics and do research.
I am involved in research, getting my name on a first paper this semester.

Any helpful responses would be fantastic

Answers and Replies

If I were in your situation, I'd do it. Just for the sake of having a backup plan. As long as it doesn't affect your grades. After all, a 4.0 is probably better than two 2.0s (not saying you'd make that low). Of course, others may feel differently. I also can't imagine any STEM degree that wouldn't benefit from greater programming knowledge.

The CS can be useful if you want to do physics and gives you a great back-up option.