1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics/CS double major

Tags:
  1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    Hey guys, I just started my second semester of a physics degree at a fairly unknown university. Anyway, due to AP credits and some community college classes I took in HS, it seems to me that with some careful planning I can finish the degree in ~2 -2.5 years. I was debating on whether or not a second degree in something like CS would be useful, I am still financially supported by my parents (at least for a few more years) and they are pushing me to finish the degree as soon as possible, but they aren't totally against me getting a second degree.

Some relavant info - I am about 85% sure I want to finish a PhD in physics and do research.
    I am involved in research, getting my name on a first paper this semester.

Any helpful responses would be fantastic

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2
    If I were in your situation, I'd do it. Just for the sake of having a backup plan. As long as it doesn't affect your grades. After all, a 4.0 is probably better than two 2.0s (not saying you'd make that low). Of course, others may feel differently. I also can't imagine any STEM degree that wouldn't benefit from greater programming knowledge.

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3
    The CS can be useful if you want to do physics and gives you a great back-up option.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook