• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics day to day

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, I am new to this forum and have generally used it as a wonderful system for guidance on homework problems or physics issues in general. The "So you want to be a physicist" article is extremely insightful, and there is a plethora of information on the career aspects of working as a physicist in any number of fields. The issues I would like to address are of a broader nature.

As far as the career aspect of physics goes, I am only marginally apprehensive, as I am sure anyone facing such a daunting set of potential ordeals is. I am currently a sophomore and I hope to study biophysics. My concern involves a physicists life outside of work. Is there one?

I am not sure exactly where this judgment comes from, but it seems as though many physicists miss out on living to devote themselves utterly to their work, spending so many years enveloped completely in study, only to graduate and face a work-load disproportionately larger than that of most other career fields.

I guess my question is, how accurate an assessment is this and how heavily does it affect those aspects of life that one should not, in our painfully short time on earth, miss out on?

Answers and Replies