1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics degree and work

1. Dec 21, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have always loved physics but for many reasons (mostly parents) I didn't major in physics.
    I am about to get my master's in computer science in europe and am soon moving to the US to work.

I know that continuing studies is easier than in europe (in my country it's simply impossible) so I would like to know if anyone knows how I could achieve this.

Are there night courses ? Online only degrees ?

I already have a basic understanding of some fields of physics as I taught myself (quantum physics, relativity and classical).

Thank you for your time,
    SushiLord

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer depends on what you want to study physics for.

Is it just a hobby, to fulfill your curiosity about physics, or are you hoping to actually do something what that education?

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    I am hoping to be able to do research in theoretical physics or aerospace, I am amazed by both !

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4
    You will need a PhD to do any sort of constant research, as a general rule of course.. I suspect there might be jobs for people with a masters in it.

6. Dec 21, 2013 #5
    Yea I was planning on doing a PhD if I ever managed to get a bachelor's first, which is what is causing me problems right now :/

7. Dec 21, 2013 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Then it severally limits your options for continuing studies. There are some master programs, like the one at UCSD, where you can take one course a quarter until you complete your masters. With a CS degree, you might be able to get into some similar master program for physics, but Im not sure how feasible or likely this is.

Online degrees, especially for something like physics, aren't going to be looked upon very good by PhD granting institutions my intuition tells me, but I could be wrong. You're going to need to get a PhD to do what you want to do. You can do your PhD online at some places, but these are just diploma mills that are looking to make a quick buck.

I quit my job to study physics, it become to difficult to find the right night classes even at the junior college I was attending.

Maybe someone else will have a more personal experience to help you out, and it depends on how flexible your work schedule is, it might not be impossible to go to uni for your bs/ms while working.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook