1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Physics Degree/Career/College?

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    So, I'm in my first physics class this year, and I find it interesting and challenging, and it seems like it would make a very satisfying career choice. So, I was wondering what some interesting career choices in physics were? I mean, there's some obvious ones, but...I'd really like to consider all options. Also, what degree would any of these careers require and what are some good schools for them?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2009 #2

Wax

I'm pretty new to these forums but from what I've read, most physic majors requires you to have some type of computer language background to get a job in the private sector. I'm assuming it's mainly for people who only have a BS. If you get a PHD, that's probably a little different.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Dec 9, 2009 #4
    Are you talking about high school physics? If so, many of the most related jobs fall under the heading of "engineering." I recommend taking a look at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm for a very brief overview of the main types of engineering, although there is a lot more you can do with an engineering degree than what is listed on that site.

This is in addition, of course, to the careers available to physics degree holders and other related fields.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook