Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Degree

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    Hey All,

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what degree to do. I have always seen myself doing a physics degree, but recently I have been put off. It's the end of the year (1 or 2 weeks left) and teachers haven't been in all the lessons, and the whole physics thing just doesn't seem a rosy as it once did. I'm not enjoying what we are doing now in the lessons, and I have a poor relationship with one of my teachers. With teachers not being in much my learning seems to be a bit stuttered. I have thought of a business degree as that would be my second choice. I just can't imagine myself putting the effort into Business like I do for physics.

I need to start deciding on a Degree and University. I just wanted to find out if anyone else ever questioned whether physics was the right subject for them?

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't be put off by this: the few weeks between AS exams and the end of teaching for the year are always shoddy, since teachers try and cram a topic into a few weeks. This seems to be the main reason you seem to be questioning yourself, so I wouldn't do anything rash now, and at least mull things over during the summer. You don't need to decide on which university until around Christmas time, so that leaves a lot of time to think over your options, and time to meet with teachers and discuss them.

Personally, I never questioned which subject was right for me, and just decided in upper sixth that I was going to do a maths degree since I was better at maths than my other subjects. I enjoyed all my A level subjects, so the only way I could think to decide was by how good I was. I know there are many people around who knew they wanted to study a certain degree since they were younger.

4. Jun 29, 2008 #3
    How did you know he was British?!

5. Jun 29, 2008 #4
    Thanks for that Cristo, that has made me feel a lot better. I also take maths and biology, but I would never consider taking either at university, though I am sure I will encounter maths again in a physics degree! :smile: I didn't know I had so much time!! I've just been looking at a few University websites, and some of the courses are incredibly specific to my interests even though it is a normal physics degree, and in some you can even take Finance modules etc. Thanks again Cristo, is nice to know my school isn't the only one trying to cram a subject in, in a week.

Multi-Account :eek:

Haha nah, Cristo and I have spoken before. :approve:

_Mayday_

6. Jun 29, 2008 #5
    you can always pursue an engineering path... computer, chemical, electrical, biomedical...

I'm a business major and I'm looking into taking up another field to supplement my business degree... I was considering physics, but now I'm leaning toward computer engineering...

I wouldn't recommend switching from any science to business, though... you'll be bored and you won't be utilizing your talents.... if anything, take a business minor and stick with a science as your major....

7. Jul 6, 2008 #6
    Im thinking of a Physics and Management course now =]

8. Jul 6, 2008 #7
    Or physics and business studies, but those will just be modules on top of a normal physics degree

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook