1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics degree

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    I am 16 with a passion for physics, I am not by any means a genius but I am good at physics and best in the year (based on results). I've read on degree choices that a degree in physics is like a VIP pass to jobs as it shows you can think logically etc.
    some people in my class underestimate how hard being a doctor is but I am worried about if I'm clever enough to do a physics degree then a Phd. So my question is do you have to be a genius to do a Phd in physics or could I aim for it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that it was Einstein that said in reference to doing Physics, " it is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration". If you are willing and able to but in the effort you can learn physics.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    1.) Not really.

2.) You won't know until you try, and by try I mean work hard and remain interested for a sustained length of time. The "10000 hours" argument to become an expert in something comes to mind.

5. Apr 14, 2013 #4
    So what in asking is, I love the subject but would it be worth it to put that much effort in? As in what could I do after?

6. Apr 14, 2013 #5
    Worth is entirely subjective, that is up to you to decide.

After a BS, you can continue your education with a MSc in a related or unrelated field and you would be fairly competitive in the job market. Or get a phd. Just a BS isn't really a solid plan.

7. Apr 14, 2013 #6
    The ultimate aim is to get a Phd and I was just wondering if that would be possible. Question before was asking what jobs would this lead me to?

8. Apr 14, 2013 #7
    You don't have to be a 1 in a 100 million genius, if that is what you're asking.

Go to webpages like APS and AIP's job register to see where phd holders and BS/MS holders end up working in the US.

9. Apr 14, 2013 #8
    It depends on what you specialize in at the PhD level. Some specializations are more translatable into industry work while others are strictly academic. Academia is an option with a PhD no matter the specialization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook