Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Physics degrees of freedom problem

1. May 27, 2005 #1
    A 1.12 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 491 K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 735 K and 1.39 atm. Assume 5 active degrees of freedom.

Neither pressure nor volume nor temp are constant, so I'm confused to how I'm supposed to find work or q.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2005 #2
    Have you seen this formula before?

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U \pm W[/tex], the [tex]\pm[/tex] is there depending on how you define when is work positive. If I recall correctly [itex]U = \frac {q}{2} n R T[/itex] where [itex]q[/itex] is the numbers of degree of freedom.

4. May 27, 2005 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A couple of things you need to key on. What is the connection between degrees of freedom and heat capacity? And what can you do with the fact that the P vs T curve is linear?

5. May 27, 2005 #4
    I assume I could graph P vs V and find work, but that seems like more work then should be neccesary. I can find the change in U, or overall energy of the system, the only problem I'm having is with work, which should give me heat since I know U.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook