1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics dilemma

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    hi,

I did my B.E. in electronics and communication. I am now working in a Software company for 2 years. I am interested in learning physics. How can i move about changing to physics field from electronics background. I am now refreshing my electronics and communication subjects.

I would be very happy if i could get this dialemma resolved.

thanks in advance
    ayyappan

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    Re: Electronics to Physics Field Shift

Hi,

Can anybody help me out.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Re: Stable Lame Career Vs. The Unknown

hi,

i read the above posts.
    I did my B.E. in electronics and communication. I am now working in a Software company for 2 years. I am interested in learning physics. How can i move about changing to physics field from electronics background. I am now refreshing my electronics and communication subjects.

Thanks in advance

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    hi,

I did my Bachelor of Engineering in electronics and communication. I am now working in a Software company for 2 years. I am interested in learning physics. How can i move about changing to physics field from electronics background. I am now refreshing my electronics and communication subjects.

Please suggest me in going further.

Thanks in advance

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    Re: Electronics to Physics Field Shift

No need to post the same thing in a bunch of forums for a quick response...

Have you considered applying to graduate programs in physics? You would probably have to take some extra courses to catch you up; however, you can apply to phd or masters programs with a similar degree that demonstrates you could probably handle graduate work in that subject.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #6
    Re: Physics dialemma

No need to post the same thing in a bunch of forums for a quick response...

Have you considered applying to graduate programs in physics? You would probably have to take some extra courses to catch you up; however, you can apply to phd or masters programs with a similar degree that demonstrates you could probably handle graduate work in that subject.

8. Dec 1, 2008 #7

My advice is to quit work, take some time off and think about what you want to do. When you know what it is that you want to do, do it.

9. Dec 1, 2008 #8

The best thing to do is to see if you could take a course or two in physics from your local university. Many of them have an "Open University" or some similar program where you could take a course or two without a specific degree objective.

If you do well and enjoy the courses, you can then try to plan further moves. If you don't do well or don't enjoy the work, it is better to find out before you have turned your life upside down.

10. Dec 2, 2008 #9

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes i would consider applying for graduate programs in physics. But i am from engineering undergraduate. Can i do post graduate in physics field through correspondence. Can i get job after i finish my graduation? Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

11. Dec 2, 2008 #10

I am not sure what you mean my correpsondence but you could apply to a physics program with an engineering degree. I doubt you would have that much trouble finding work with a physics phd.

12. Dec 2, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This may not read properly, since I have merged several threads by the OP on the same topic. Do not cross post across several forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?