1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Distance Question

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    Mary left home at noon running at 7m/s towards school. Her brother John left 35 seconds later running at 8m/s. How much time passed and how far were they from the house when John caught up to Mary.

2. Relevant equations
    My solution i tried was to the x-y graph. My notes saids im supposed to use these formulas
    d-d0=vt , d=vt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried graphing as an university friend/student has told me but it just doesnt work out because when I get to john i have no clue to where i start on the graph to graph johns distance. All i know right now is that in 35 seconds, when john leaves Mary is at 245 metres.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    ok those equations are correct the thing is you need to have 2 equations for the distance.
    One will represent Mary, another will represent John.

[tex]d_{Mary}=d_0+vt[/tex]
    [tex]d_{John}=d_0+vt[/tex]

since velocity is constant a=0 and we loose that a/2*t^2 part.

So when should time start for these equations?
    t=0 Mary leaves the house? or
    t=0 John leaves the house, Mary has a 35s lead and is how many m away from the house already?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?