Physics in Australia: Sydney, Brisbane/Melbourne, Perth

• Thread starter gschjetne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is discussing suggestions for universities in Australia, specifically in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth. The requirements for international students are mentioned and the participant suggests checking the university websites for information. Some recommended universities include Melbourne University, Monash University, University of New Wales, University of Sydney, and University of Western Australia, with a personal vote for University of New Wales due to its strength in astrophysics. University of Western Australia is also mentioned as a top choice for astrophysics and theoretical physics.
gschjetne
Physics "Down Under"

I'm considering Australia for university, and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for universities, primarily in Sydney, secondarily in Brisbane/Melbourne, tertiary in Perth. How are the requirements? Currently I'm a IB International Baccalaureate student, so trying to trick somebody into believing Norwegian grades are any good won't be a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm - I live in Melbourne. I don't know much about international admissions but you can try going to the university website - I am sure they will have information there.

Since, I am in Melbourne, I can only name you the good universities in Melbourne which is Melbourne University and Monash Universisty.

Uni of New Wales anf Uni of Sydney are the main ones. They are both strong in physics, but since i attend unsw, i will give it my vote. it is very strong in astrophysics.

University of Western Australia is one of the best for Astrophysics and Theoretical physics, and i a member of the Australian Group of 8.

1. What are the top universities for studying physics in Australia?

Some of the top universities for studying physics in Australia include The University of Sydney, The University of Queensland, The University of Melbourne, and Curtin University.

2. What are the career opportunities for physicists in Sydney, Brisbane/Melbourne, and Perth?

There are numerous career opportunities for physicists in major cities like Sydney, Brisbane/Melbourne, and Perth. These can include working in research and development, government agencies, and industries such as telecommunications, energy, and aerospace.

3. How does the physics curriculum in Australia compare to other countries?

The physics curriculum in Australia is known for its strong emphasis on practical and hands-on learning, with a focus on developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This makes it comparable to other leading countries in physics education, such as the United States and United Kingdom.

4. Are there any notable research centers or facilities for physics in Australia?

Australia has several renowned research centers and facilities for physics, such as the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO), the Australian Institute of Physics, and the Australian Synchrotron.

5. What is the current state of funding for physics research in Australia?

Funding for physics research in Australia has been steadily increasing in recent years, with the Australian government investing in initiatives such as the Australian Research Council (ARC) and the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS). Additionally, universities and industry partners also contribute to funding for physics research in Australia.