1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics education in USA and UK

  1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    Hello,i need some info about Physics college education in USA an UK.
    In my country there are 2 different Physics directions (colleges), one is educational Physics and the other is scientific Physics. The first one educates Physics professors (primary and high school) and the other one educates scientists. I am a student at educational Physics, but I would like to do a phd afterwards (possibly USA or UK). If i would do that in my country i would first have to take some exams from the scientific direction to be as equal as those students. So, I would like to know do you have those differences in Physics education?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    I haven't heard of educational physics in the UK.

    Normally in the UK you would do a regular physics degree and then to teach in schools you would do an additional one year post graduate teaching course.
    To teach in a university (or a private school) there are no fixed requirements but a PhD is pretty much a requirement for a university lecturer.

    Note that in the UK/USA professor means something different, in the UK it is the senior staff or head of a university department, in the USA it is generally any permanent university staff - anybody who teaches in a school is just called a teacher.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook