Physics Education Research

In summary, according to the fourth year grade student, there are few opportunities for people who want to go into physics education research after getting a PhD. A few programs like UC Boulders might be available, but they are likely not funded very well. There may be some opportunities for volunteer work, but the student is unsure about what they could do.
Cluelessluke
Hello all!

I'm a fourth year grade student in physics (specifically theoretical cosmology).

Over the years I've become more and more interested in education. I even applied and was accepted as a STEM instructor for a local high school...which probably takes up more of my time than my adviser would like ;)

I'm playing around with the idea of maybe getting into physics education research but I admittedly know little about this field.

Do postdoc positions...or grants...or really anything exist for people who get a PhD and want to go into this field?

Physics news on Phys.org
*grad

After doing some research, I'm learning about PER. It's hard for me to find postdoc options for such groups. Do these not exist?

I imagine that you are likely going to need a phd in physics education research if you want to do research in physics education similar to needing a phd in physics to do physics research.

You could apply to a program like UC Boulders.

In my experience, the people who get into physics education research are often lecturers who's primary duties are teaching and don't have other ongoing research projects. A number of community college instructors come to mind. That's NOT to say that they do it because they can't do something else. I think it's more that physics education questions naturally arise more frequently for those in teaching positions.

Also, I suspect funding for larger education projects would be relatively small compared to other physics research projects. I'm under the impression a lot of physics education research is done by individuals or small group collaborations and those projects generally don't require a dedicated post-doctoral researcher. You might see a summer position for an undergrad student to help develop a new lab experiment now and then, but you won't see too many post-doctoral positions for physics education research.

Anyone knows about PER opportunties in Los Angeles area ?
I am even looking for volunteer opportunities

1. What is Physics Education Research (PER)?

Physics Education Research is a field of study that focuses on understanding and improving the teaching and learning of physics. It uses scientific methods to investigate how students learn physics concepts, and how teaching methods and curriculum design can be improved to facilitate student understanding.

2. How is PER different from traditional physics education?

Traditional physics education focuses on teaching students the fundamental concepts and theories of physics, while PER takes a more scientific approach by studying how students think and learn about these concepts. It also emphasizes the importance of using evidence-based teaching methods and curriculum design.

3. What are the benefits of incorporating PER into physics instruction?

Incorporating PER into physics instruction has been shown to improve student understanding and retention of physics concepts. It also helps instructors to identify and address common misconceptions and difficulties that students may have in learning physics.

4. How is PER conducted?

PER is conducted through a variety of methods, including surveys, interviews, classroom observations, and data analysis. Researchers often use both qualitative and quantitative approaches to gather and analyze data.

5. What are some current topics of research in PER?

Some current topics of research in PER include understanding how students develop conceptual understanding of physics, investigating the effectiveness of different teaching strategies and technologies, and exploring the role of metacognition in learning physics. There is also a growing focus on diversity and inclusion in physics education research, examining ways to make physics more accessible and engaging for underrepresented groups.