1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Egg Drop

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    Ok here's the thing: I have the classic egg drop project, but am not sure how to get it to work, so here are the requirements/details:
    The egg is a gresh, raw, grade "A" egg,
    Egg cannot be completely encased within another material besides a zip-lock bag.
    Device the egg is in can't exceed the dimensions of 2.75 in x 2.75 in x 2.75 in.
    Egg/parachute must stay in the air for at least 6 seconds, and land completely intact on the ground.
    The height of the drop is 5 - 5 1/2 meters.
    It must have some kind of parachute, and something to hold the egg.
    P.S. Please help me soon, because it is due w/in the next week, but I really need some help with ideas and most of the work done w/in the next 2 days.
    I originally thought a plastic bag would make a good parachute, but it was not airborne long enough. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2006 #2
    For a parachute, use one of those huge black trash bags.

Cut a nearly perfect circle in it and then attach something like... 8 strings on the ends...
  4. Aug 26, 2006 #3
    The trash bag idea, how are u supposed to attach the bag to it; do u mean on the outside of it or the inside of the parachute?
  5. Aug 26, 2006 #4
    You have to try a few things out, physics=cool, that's really the idea of this sort of thing. It's fun. And it's fun looking up what other people have done and seeing if you can do better. PS: If you end up with a parachute try cutting a modest hole in the centre, it makes it nice and stable. PPS: Try cellotape for attaching your thread to the plastic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?