Physics Electric Field Problem

In summary, the problem involves two identical spheres, A and B, with a mass of 0.0004 kg each and charges of 3.0 10^-5 C and 3.6 10^-5 C, respectively. Sphere A is fixed in place and sphere B is brought from a distant location and fixed at a distance of 0.03 meters from A. The question asks for the speed of the spheres when they are very far apart, assuming they are released from rest at the same time. The equations used are KE = (1/2)mv^2 and KE = qV. The solution requires applying the conservation of momentum principle.
asheik234

Homework Statement

k = 9 * 10^9

Sphere A of mass m = 0.0004 kg holds a positive charge qA = 3.0 10^-5 C and is fixed in place. Point P is d = 0.03 meters away from Sphere A.

Sphere B is identical in mass to sphere A, but carries a charge of qB = 3.6 10^-5 C. Sphere B is brought from a distant location and fixed at point P.

Frensley_E-Potential_Points_009b.gif

If both spheres are released from rest at the same time, how fast do the spheres move when they are very far apart?

Homework Equations

KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE = qV

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting different speeds for each ball using the first equation, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pls post your working, as per forum rules.

haruspex said:
I'm not sure if I have to get the velocity of ball a or ball b, or get them both and average, I just need help on this part of the problem.

haruspex said:
I'm not sure if I have to get the velocity of ball a or ball b, or get them both and average, I just need help on this part of the problem.

asheik234 said:

They're the same mass. What does conservation of momentum tell you about the relationship between their velocities?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is the force that is exerted on other charged particles or objects within its vicinity.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge of the particle. This is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What is the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field is defined as the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. It is always in the direction of the force exerted on a positive charge and opposite to the force exerted on a negative charge.

4. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance from the source charge increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

5. How is an electric field represented graphically?

An electric field is represented graphically using electric field lines. These lines show the direction and strength of the electric field. The closer the lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field is in that region.