Finding the Emf and Internal Resistance of a Battery with Changing Resistors

In summary, the problem is asking for the emf and internal resistance of a battery based on the given information of the voltage across the battery's terminals when connected to a 4ohm and 2ohm resistor. To solve, use the V=IR equation for each situation and solve the equations simultaneously to find the internal resistance of the battery. Then use V=IR again to find the emf of the battery.
DoubleHelix

Homework Statement

The p.d. across a battery's terminals is 8.0V when connected to a 4ohm resistor. When this resistor is replaced with a 2ohm resistor the p.d. across it's terminals is 6.0V. What is the emf and internal resistance of the resistor?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
V = IR                              V = IR
I  = V/R                            I  = V/R
   = 8/4                               = 6/2
   = 2A                                = 3A

And then I just don't know what to do next. Help would be very appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
DoubleHelix said:

Homework Statement

The p.d. across a battery's terminals is 8.0V when connected to a 4ohm resistor. When this resistor is replaced with a 2ohm resistor the p.d. across it's terminals is 6.0V. What is the emf and internal resistance of the resistor?

I think the problem must ask "What is the emf and internal resistance of the battery"?

Correct?

You solve this kind of problem using the fact that you have two unknowns (Vbat and Rbat) and you have two equations (write the V=IR equation for the two situations that have been given to you).

Does that help?

Sorry for my very late reply, and yes it was supposed to be battery.

You did help a lot. And just in case anybody else is struggling with a problem like this then I'll explain how I did it. I worked out that I could solve the equations simultaneously to find find the internal resistance of the battery and then you just need to do a simple V=IR calculation to find the emf of the Battery. ;)

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that results from the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. It can be generated by a variety of sources, including chemical reactions, mechanical motion, and electromagnetic induction.

2. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It is made up of a power source, such as a battery, and various components, such as resistors and switches, connected by conductors. When a circuit is complete, or closed, electricity can flow continuously through it.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is a type of electricity in which the flow of current periodically reverses direction. It is used in most household and commercial electrical systems. DC (direct current) electricity, on the other hand, flows in only one direction. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

4. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle in electricity that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) applied to it, and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the conductor (I = V/R).

5. What is electric power?

Electric power is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or used. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I) in a circuit (P = V x I). It is an important concept in understanding the efficiency and cost of using electricity.