Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Emergency!

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    Okay, I made a statement in another forum completely unrelated to physics and I believe it to be wrong even though I made the statement in good faith. (Which is to say, I THOUGHT I knew what I was talking about.)

So please, if you can, bail me out.

Two trains are moving away from each other, both traveling at 51% the speed of light. In one train, viewing the other, would it appear to be traveling at 102% the speed of light?

Okay, that's it! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

Nope, you have to use the relativistic velocity addition formula here--in one train's frame, the other train will be moving at (0.51c + 0.51c)/(1 + 0.51^2) = 0.80946c, i.e. 80.946% the speed of light.

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    Awesome! And thank you Jesse!

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4
    Whenever you talk about this kind of problem, it helps to always add "as measured ..." When you say a train is moving at 0.51c, state relative to what or measured relative to what. That helps keep things straight.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook