Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Emergency!

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    Okay, I made a statement in another forum completely unrelated to physics and I believe it to be wrong even though I made the statement in good faith. (Which is to say, I THOUGHT I knew what I was talking about.)

So please, if you can, bail me out.

Two trains are moving away from each other, both traveling at 51% the speed of light. In one train, viewing the other, would it appear to be traveling at 102% the speed of light?

Okay, that's it! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

Nope, you have to use the relativistic velocity addition formula here--in one train's frame, the other train will be moving at (0.51c + 0.51c)/(1 + 0.51^2) = 0.80946c, i.e. 80.946% the speed of light.

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    Awesome! And thank you Jesse!

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4
    Whenever you talk about this kind of problem, it helps to always add "as measured ..." When you say a train is moving at 0.51c, state relative to what or measured relative to what. That helps keep things straight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook