Where Can I Find Entry Level Jobs for a BS in Physics?

In summary, the person is having trouble finding jobs to apply to with a BS in physics and a 3.64 GPA. They are asking for suggestions of companies to apply to. Some suggestions include defense contractors, national labs, government institutions, private sector companies in industries such as optics and renewable energy, and utilizing university career services and job fairs.
lcr2139
hello, i have a BS in physics with a 3.64 GPA and i am having trouble finding jobs to apply to. Does anyone have any ideas of companies to apply to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of threads on this. Maybe review them and then expand a bit.

At the very least it would be nice to know where you're located, what your experience is, what skills you developed, and what kind of work you'd like to get.

If you're a US citizen with no criminal record, try defense contractors (Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, etc.), national labs, DoE internships, the Army, Air Force or Navy (look for "Physical Science Technician") and other jobs in government institutions (environmental protection, meteorological institutions, natural science bureaus like the Geological Survey).

Private sector: optics companies/manufacturers(Thorlabs, OFSOptics, etc.), renewable energy companies, power plants, start-up high tech, entry level banking or programming positions (if you have demonstrable programming skills in java, c++, etc.)

I have had more luck finding ads by specifically seeking out companies' career pages than scouring job ad pages like USAjobs and monster.

But having contacts through your university's services is really what is most likely to land you any job than looking and applying online + cold-calling on your own. Strong-arm your university career services office and attend any job fairs they hold.

1. Where can I search for entry level jobs for a BS in Physics?

There are several places you can search for entry level jobs in physics. Some common options include online job boards such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn, as well as university career centers, professional organizations, and company websites.

2. What type of jobs can I expect with a BS in Physics?

A BS in Physics can lead to a variety of entry level jobs in fields such as research, healthcare, technology, education, and government. Some common job titles for physics graduates include research assistant, data analyst, quality control technician, and science teacher.

3. Do I need prior work experience for entry level jobs in physics?

While having prior work experience may give you an advantage, it is not always a requirement for entry level jobs in physics. Many employers are willing to train new graduates and value the skills and knowledge gained through a physics degree. However, having relevant internships or research experience can make you a more competitive candidate.

4. What skills are necessary for entry level jobs in physics?

Entry level jobs in physics typically require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in mathematics and computer programming. Additionally, employers may look for candidates with good communication, teamwork, and time management skills. It can also be beneficial to have experience with laboratory equipment and data analysis tools.

5. How can I make my application stand out for entry level jobs in physics?

To make your application stand out for entry level jobs in physics, it is important to highlight your relevant skills and experiences. This can include showcasing any research projects, internships, or coursework related to physics. Additionally, having strong references and a well-written cover letter can also help to make a good impression on potential employers.