Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics equations put into plain language?

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    Hello! I'm brand new here and a complete novice in the realm of physics, but that doesn't mean I don't love the science and want to see it represented at least somewhat faithfully in fiction. :)

I'm writing a comic book story for a talent hunt at one of the larger publishers. The world I'm writing in has a heavy supernatural bent, so I've chosen a physicist as my protagonist to really emphasize the conflict between science and the supernatural.

This physicist is constantly tormented by a supernatural entity which speaks directly into his mind. The physicist has to mentally gird himself against repeated attempts by the entity to drive him insane. He does this by reciting physics equations to himself, trying to drown out the voice in his head.

I got the idea watching a Big Think video on youtube in which Michio Kaku showed the mathematical equation for light, and then spoke it aloud as a sentence.

So, it went from...

tensor.png

to...

“The four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero."

And I was blown away. "If every equation can be verbalized in the same way," I thought, "those are the things my guy falls back on to keep his sanity."

I only need two or three, because the scene I'm talking about will take up all of a page in the comic. The problem is, I just don't have the knowledge to do it myself. I don't speak that language. I'm hoping someone here does, and might be willing to help me fulfill this very small -- but, to me, very crucial -- part of this silly little piece of fantasy fiction.

If there are any takers, these are the equations I'd like to use:

The Dirac equation - http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DiracEquation.html

And any two equations from the Wave-Particle Duality and Time Evolution table at the following link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e.E2.80.93particle_duality_and_time_evolution

If I'm completely barking up the wrong tree with this, I hope you guys will forgive my ignorance and set me straight. As I said, I love the science, even if I'm not fluent in it, and I'm eager to leave easter eggs like this for readers who will recognize it.

Thank you so much!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted