Can Deterministic Chaos Theory Offer Fresh Insights for an IB Physics Essay?

In summary: Once you have a solid understanding of the concepts, you can then begin the project.In summary, the author is looking for advice on what to do with his physics essay. He has an advisor, but wants to explore further on his own. He is worried that if he does not have a specific topic in mind, his essay will not be well-received. He recommends that the author has a teacher guide him through the material first, and then begins work on the project once he has a good understanding.
tbd
Hello! I'm in need of some guidance concerning the topic of my essay.

I've been tasked with writing an essay on physics as part of my IB Diploma requirements. The IB Diploma is meant to be a 4000 word essay exploring a narrow topic of my choice.

I have been extremely interested in deterministic chaos theory, and am looking to perform experiments or simulations related to the field. I, however, cannot figure out exactly what to attempt to investigate. I have been looking at the Chua's Circuit for simulating the dynamics of the Lorenz System, and I naively suspect I will end up exploring the lyapunov exponent, relative sensitivity to initial conditions, and the time horizon of the Lorenz System. However, this would really accomplish nothing -- these fields are all extremely well understood. If anyone has any suggestion at all for a route to pursue in the field of deterministic chaos, I'd like to hear it!

Looking forward to your ideas!
TD

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, these are some things to discuss with some kind of advisor. Do you have an advisor that is assisting you? Can he help you find somebody who knows more about these things? For example, a professor in a university?

You mention Chua's circuit, so I'm wondering if your subject is math or physics. My advice would be to make a clear distinction between the two subjects. A student at my school had a very good essay in physics, but the IB examiners assessed that it was actually a math EE, so he lost most of his marks because he wrote the EE to the physics criteria.

Usually, these are some things to discuss with some kind of advisor. Do you have an advisor that is assisting you? Can he help you find somebody who knows more about these things? For example, a professor in a university?

Thanks for your reply!

I am going into my last year of high school, and I do have an essay advisor (my physics teacher), but I think that we both know about the same amount about deterministic chaos. I was hoping that I could get some outside help in coming up with a topic.

hsetennis said:
You mention Chua's circuit, so I'm wondering if your subject is math or physics. My advice would be to make a clear distinction between the two subjects. A student at my school had a very good essay in physics, but the IB examiners assessed that it was actually a math EE, so he lost most of his marks because he wrote the EE to the physics criteria.

It is a physics extended essay, but if it becomes a math extended essay I'll simply hand it in as a math extended essay.

To be honest, I am not as concerned with the IB as I am with writing a great essay. I think that the essay will serve me better as a great learning experience and a supplementary material for college than as an IB graded paper -- it won't be graded and returned to me until well after I'm accepted to college, and American universities tend to care less about final IB scores.

It's true that American colleges don't care about the final IB marks, but they do include in their applications a supplement for independent academic work. Considering the topic you have chosen, your EE (if executed well) can be a big advantage for your application.

The EE is a project that is meant to be done over many months under the supervision of a teacher in that subject. I (and the IBO) don't recommend that you just change your subject because math and physics have quite a different rubric.

Before you begin the work, I suggest that you give your advisor the text that you're using to learn the material so that he/she may guide you further.

1. What is the purpose of a Physics essay or dissertation?

The purpose of a Physics essay or dissertation is to explore a specific topic or question related to physics and present a well-researched and supported argument or analysis. It allows the writer to demonstrate their understanding of physics concepts and theories and showcase their ability to critically think and analyze data.

2. How should I structure my Physics essay or dissertation?

The structure of a Physics essay or dissertation may vary depending on the specific requirements, but it generally follows a standard format. This includes an introduction that provides background information and introduces the main argument, a body that presents evidence and analysis, and a conclusion that summarizes the main points and restates the thesis. It is also important to include a literature review, methodology, and references to support any claims made.

3. What type of research is required for a Physics essay or dissertation?

A Physics essay or dissertation typically requires a mix of primary and secondary research. Primary research involves conducting experiments or collecting data to support the argument, while secondary research involves analyzing and synthesizing existing literature and data from other sources. It is important to use reputable and relevant sources to ensure the accuracy and credibility of the research.

4. How do I choose a topic for my Physics essay or dissertation?

Choosing a topic for a Physics essay or dissertation can be challenging, but it is important to select a topic that is interesting, relevant, and feasible. Look for current and debated topics in the field of physics, consider your personal interests and strengths, and consult with your instructor or peers for suggestions. It is also important to narrow down the topic to a specific research question or thesis.

5. How can I make my Physics essay or dissertation stand out?

To make your Physics essay or dissertation stand out, it is important to conduct thorough and original research, use clear and concise language, and present a well-structured and organized argument. Additionally, incorporating visual aids such as graphs, charts, and diagrams can enhance the presentation of data and analysis. It is also important to proofread and edit your work to ensure it is free of errors and effectively conveys your ideas.