1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics exam tommarow NEED HELP

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    Physics exam tommarow NEED HELP!!!!!!!

hows it going, im new to this forum and want to know how to do these problems for my exam tomorrow, thanks for the help in advance lets get to the questions:

1) three vectors have x and y component vectors as shown in the table below:
    what is the magnitude of the resultant vector of: s+t+U?

x y

s -2.5 +4.5

T +3.0 -1.5

U +5.5 + 5.0

the choices for the answers are A)4.9 B)24 C)10 D)18 apparently the answer is C) but i am not sure how to get that

2) a boat, whose speed in still water is 8.0m/s, is moving up a river(against the current). If the speed of the current is 6.0m/s, how far up the river will the boat be 4.0 seconds later, relative to land?

A)4.0m B)8.0 C)16.0m D) 32.0m

Not sure how to do this problem but the answer is apparently B)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    Re: Physics exam tommarow NEED HELP!!!!!!!

3) a stone is thrown horizontally with an initial speed of 20m/s from the edge of a vertical cliff that overlooks the river below. if it takes exactly 6 seconds for the stone to reach the river, how high is the cliff? how far from the base of the cliff did the stone hit the water?

list of y values known, and a list of x values known?
    Values to find:
    equation(s):
    show your complete solution to the problem here using the equation(s) you identified above:

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi B Serious! Welcome to PF! :smile:

1) how far did you get?

What is S + T + U?

2) how fast is the boat going relative to the land?

5. Oct 23, 2008 #4

4) you are following directions that a friend has given you to a restaurant from your home. First, you are instructed to go due South for 4.5km, then turn left onto Main Street and go east for 2.6km. at this point, you are told to take Maple Street which runs 30 degrees west of north for 4km to the restaurant. At dinner, you mention to your friends that it seems like you are almost back to where you started. They all agree so you decide to determine how far, and in what direction, you could have traveled to go straight to the restaurant. Assume no buildings or other structures will prevent you from going directly from your home to the restaurant. Include a sketch of the entire path actually traveled. Also sketch the path you could have taken to go straight to your destination.

show your full and completely documented solution here using the techniques and conventions discussed in class.

6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    Re: Welcome to PF!

not to far......s, t, u have an arrow over each of them i guess there vectors, and for the second question all that is stated is what i posted.. not sure if that helps but thanks again

7. Oct 23, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't need help! :rolleyes:

I'll ask again:

1) what is S + T + U?

2) how fast is the boat going relative to the land?

8. Oct 23, 2008 #7

ok i got you the boat is going 2m/s relative to the land, so you times that by 4 and you get 8

9. Oct 23, 2008 #8

can you give me some help on the other problems

10. Oct 23, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

11. Oct 23, 2008 #10

well i know that you would do 20 times 6 because the velocity would be constant throughout so the answer would be 120m/s...but im just not sure how to set up the problem with the known values and the values to find out.

12. Oct 23, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This doesn't make sense: you can't just multiple numbers together willy-nilly. What are you trying to calculate here?

13. Oct 23, 2008 #12

trying to figure out the problem?????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?