How do you finish tests faster?

• Thread starter Mark
  • Start date
In summary: Physics examination. I managed to get help from my friend who is in the same stream and is an expert in the subject. In summary, the friend told me to take a quick look at the questions I knew I could answer first, and then move on to the ones I was unsure of. He also said to use my watch to keep track of how much time I was spending on each problem, and to never spend too much time on any one question. I went into do my Physics exam, it was easy, i knew the material...but then...I ran out of time and was forced to hand in my exam. I feel like someone walked up to me and shot me
Mark
I went into do my physics exam, it was easy, i knew the material...but then...I ran out of time and was forced to hand in my exam. I feel like someone walked up to me and shot me in the face. I knew the stuff perfectly, but i ran out of time...

How do you finish tests faster...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of things that help me:
-Take a few seconds to look the test over first, don't just begin writing. That way you can plan which ones look easiest/shortest, and get them done first. There is no law that you have to do problems in order.
-Place your watch on the desk beside your scratch paper and keep an eye on it to make sure you don't get carried away and spend too much time on anyone problem.
-If you're allowed to take an index card with the formulas on it, highlight the formula, then under it have the rearranged versions of the formula to save time on algebraic manipulations. In parentheses after each formula, have an example prob including UNITS.
-Do extra homework problems do help build speed

The biggest piece of advice i can give is to do the question you know how to do first. Finish all the questions that you know you will get right. Than move onto questions that you are unsure about.

Mark said:
I went into do my physics exam, it was easy, i knew the material...but then...I ran out of time and was forced to hand in my exam. I feel like someone walked up to me and shot me in the face. I knew the stuff perfectly, but i ran out of time...

How do you finish tests faster...?
you sound like playing a playStation game. But did some supervisors come close to you and said anything that wasn't nice ? Why did they do that ?- it looked like they were trying to conner you till you died, right ? Why ?
// I hate those little monkies, true!

TenNen said:
you sound like playing a playStation game. But did some supervisors come close to you and said anything that wasn't nice ? Why did they do that ?- it looked like they were trying to conner you till you died, right ? Why ?
// I hate those little monkies, true!
Would you like some breadsticks to go along with your word salad?

No dude, you don't understand, I had the highest mark in the class going in, i am probably near the bottom, it was one of those exams that's worth a lot.

bread sticks? wt?

Flip through the test and do the easy questions first. This leaves more time for the harder/complex questions.

It could be that you weren't supposed to finish the test...

cookiemonster

Zorodius said:
Would you like some breadsticks to go along with your word salad?
Do breadsticks taste like mud ? or dogs' food ?
Clue me in!

What's kept me alive through all my physics classes has been simply going through the test and setting up all the physics, and then doing the algebra games and number crunching later. If I run out of time, no big deal since the important part of the problem is done, and the instructor will more than likely be generous with a well thought out plan that demonstrates understanding rather than a blank page.

Don't forget that the more practice you have, the faster you can do problems. Make up your own problems in addition to the homework problems and work on those too.

Gza said:
What's kept me alive through all my physics classes has been simply going through the test and setting up all the physics, and then doing the algebra games and number crunching later. If I run out of time, no big deal since the important part of the problem is done, and the instructor will more than likely be generous with a well thought out plan that demonstrates understanding rather than a blank page.

I agree.

I just finished Physics 2 in college and I had neglected to write down the formula for the Lorenz contraction on my formula sheet before an exam. There was a question that expected me to calculate the length of something moving at 3/4 of the speed of light. Fortunately the teacher left me a loop hole. The question didn't say from what frame of reference the length is viewed. So I just wrote that this length to an outside observer would be determined by the Lorenz contraction, however, if the observer is moving in the same frame of reference, the object stays the same length to that observer. So I got around doing the math at all for that problem.

Just some of my humble views...

Hi..I faced a similar problem while attempting my Class 11 (Grade 11 if you will, but I am not sure what the exact equivalent is) physics exams..most of which were filled with questions on dynamics and statics. The papers were always very easy and just the kinds you could get 100% on, but I never could because the problem initially was to set up the correct equations (as sometimes the idea wouldn't strike you in the exam situation) and subsequently solve them, check erroneous answers and so forth.

However, I became better than what I was a few years ago after I could push myself harder to finish the problems I used for preparation, in a smaller time period than would ideally be allocated. And that's what I would recommend to you. No matter what you're studying (Qm, mech, etc.) keep practicing, inventing problems and pushing yourself harder. Physics is fun only when it becomes difficult to perceive at first sight :-D

Cheers
Vivek

Thanks a lot for your help guys. Essentially...I didn't study more than an hour for the senior physics exam, and despite knowing almost everything on it...I just didn't go fast enough. Perhaps there just is no way...to slack off anymore. Unless...I find away to write fast... without doing the practice questions. BAhahahahha :biggrin:

Yup, thanks again

Mark

1. How can I improve my test-taking speed?

There are a few strategies you can use to improve your test-taking speed. One way is to practice timed tests and develop a pacing strategy. You can also learn how to skim passages and questions to quickly identify important information. Additionally, make sure you are well-rested and have all necessary materials before starting the test.

2. Can I use shortcuts to finish tests faster?

While shortcuts may seem like a good idea, it's important to read and understand the instructions and questions carefully. Skipping important steps or misreading questions can lead to mistakes and ultimately take more time to correct. It's best to stick to the traditional methods of test-taking.

3. How can I manage my time better during a test?

To manage your time better during a test, it's important to have a plan before starting. Begin by quickly reading through the entire test to get an idea of the content and difficulty level. Then, allocate your time according to the number of questions and their point values. Stick to your plan, but also be flexible and adjust if needed.

4. Can studying in advance help me finish tests faster?

Yes, studying in advance can help you finish tests faster. When you are familiar with the material, you can spend less time trying to recall information and more time answering questions. Additionally, studying in advance can help you become more comfortable with the format and structure of the test, reducing test anxiety and improving your overall performance.

5. Are there any specific techniques I can use to finish multiple choice questions faster?

Yes, there are a few techniques you can use to finish multiple choice questions faster. One strategy is to read the question and try to come up with the answer before looking at the choices. This can save time by eliminating options that are obviously incorrect. Another technique is to look for keywords or phrases in both the question and the choices that can help lead you to the correct answer.