Physics exam

  • Thread starter Mark
  • Start date
  • #1
58
1
I went in to do my physics exam, it was easy, i knew the material....but then...I ran out of time and was forced to hand in my exam. I feel like someone walked up to me and shot me in the face. I knew the stuff perfectly, but i ran out of time....

How do you finish tests faster...?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
25
0
Here are a couple of things that help me:
-Take a few seconds to look the test over first, don't just begin writing. That way you can plan which ones look easiest/shortest, and get them done first. There is no law that you have to do problems in order.
-Place your watch on the desk beside your scratch paper and keep an eye on it to make sure you don't get carried away and spend too much time on any one problem.
-If you're allowed to take an index card with the formulas on it, highlight the formula, then under it have the rearranged versions of the formula to save time on algebraic manipulations. In parentheses after each formula, have an example prob including UNITS.
-Do extra homework problems do help build speed
 
  • #3
298
0
The biggest piece of advice i can give is to do the question you know how to do first. Finish all the questions that you know you will get right. Than move onto questions that you are unsure about.
 
  • #4
94
0
Mark said:
I went in to do my physics exam, it was easy, i knew the material....but then...I ran out of time and was forced to hand in my exam. I feel like someone walked up to me and shot me in the face. I knew the stuff perfectly, but i ran out of time....

How do you finish tests faster...?
you sound like playing a playStation game. But did some supervisors come close to you and said anything that wasn't nice ? Why did they do that ?- it looked like they were trying to conner you till you died, right ? Why ?
// I hate those little monkies, true!
 
  • #5
184
0
TenNen said:
you sound like playing a playStation game. But did some supervisors come close to you and said anything that wasn't nice ? Why did they do that ?- it looked like they were trying to conner you till you died, right ? Why ?
// I hate those little monkies, true!
Would you like some breadsticks to go along with your word salad?
 
  • #6
58
1
No dude, you dont understand, I had the highest mark in the class going in, i am probably near the bottom, it was one of those exams thats worth a lot.

bread sticks?????? wt?
 
  • #7
37
0
Flip through the test and do the easy questions first. This leaves more time for the harder/complex questions.
 
  • #8
It could be that you weren't supposed to finish the test...

cookiemonster
 
  • #9
14
0
Zorodius said:
Would you like some breadsticks to go along with your word salad?
Do breadsticks taste like mud ? or dogs' food ?
Clue me in!
 
  • #10
Gza
437
0
What's kept me alive through all my physics classes has been simply going through the test and setting up all the physics, and then doing the algebra games and number crunching later. If I run out of time, no big deal since the important part of the problem is done, and the instructor will more than likely be generous with a well thought out plan that demonstrates understanding rather than a blank page.
 
  • #11
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,916
19
Don't forget that the more practice you have, the faster you can do problems. Make up your own problems in addition to the homework problems and work on those too.
 
  • #12
1,490
22
Gza said:
What's kept me alive through all my physics classes has been simply going through the test and setting up all the physics, and then doing the algebra games and number crunching later. If I run out of time, no big deal since the important part of the problem is done, and the instructor will more than likely be generous with a well thought out plan that demonstrates understanding rather than a blank page.
I agree.

I just finished Physics 2 in college and I had neglected to write down the formula for the Lorenz contraction on my formula sheet before an exam. There was a question that expected me to calculate the length of something moving at 3/4 of the speed of light. Fortunately the teacher left me a loop hole. The question didn't say from what frame of reference the length is viewed. So I just wrote that this length to an outside observer would be determined by the Lorenz contraction, however, if the observer is moving in the same frame of reference, the object stays the same length to that observer. So I got around doing the math at all for that problem.
 
  • #13
1,789
4
Just some of my humble views....

Hi..I faced a similar problem while attempting my Class 11 (Grade 11 if you will, but I am not sure what the exact equivalent is) physics exams..most of which were filled with questions on dynamics and statics. The papers were always very easy and just the kinds you could get 100% on, but I never could because the problem initially was to set up the correct equations (as sometimes the idea wouldn't strike you in the exam situation) and subsequently solve them, check erroneous answers and so forth.

However, I became better than what I was a few years ago after I could push myself harder to finish the problems I used for preparation, in a smaller time period than would ideally be allocated. And thats what I would recommend to you. No matter what you're studying (Qm, mech, etc.) keep practicing, inventing problems and pushing yourself harder. Physics is fun only when it becomes difficult to perceive at first sight :-D

Cheers
Vivek
 
  • #14
58
1
Thanks a lot for your help guys. Essentially...I didn't study more than an hour for the senior physics exam, and despite knowing almost everything on it....I just didn't go fast enough. Perhaps there just is no way...to slack off anymore. Unless....I find away to write fast... without doing the practice questions. BAhahahahha :biggrin:

Yup, thanks again

Mark
 

Related Threads on Physics exam

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
17
Views
986
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
948
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
4K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
7
Views
2K
Top