1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Experiment Help please

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    Alpha-particles (helium nuclei) from a particular radioactive source have range of about 6 or 7 cm in air. This is because the kinetic energy of the alpha-particles is continually being transferred to air molecules due to collisions between the alpha-particles and the air molecules.

Design a laboratory experiment to investigate how the range of alpha-particles in air is affected by the air pressure. In your account it is expected that you will

(a) draw a diagram showing how the apparatus would be used in your investigation,
    (b) explain clearly the procedure to be followed,
    (c) name the alpha-particle detector which you would use,
    (d) state any safety precautions which may need to be taken when performing the experiment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perform experiment in closed container

Use vacuum pump to reduce pressure
    (Do not allow 'climb mountains', 'use a helicopter' etc..
    A laboratory method must be employed)

('pressure gauge' shown) to measure air pressure

Geiger-Müller tube stated as detector

Diagram of apparatus
    Source/detector/rule/pressure gauge/closed container

Any mention of compensating for background radiation
    No details required.

Procedure to be followed
    Must be workable (e.g. move GM tube to point = background;
    reduce air pressure and move GM tube to position which gives
    the same count rate as before and measure distance)

THE INFORMATION ABOVE THE DOTTED LINES WAS THE QUESTION GIVEN , THE INFORMATION BELOW IS WHAT I HAVE OBTAINED FROM MY UNDERSTANDING BUT STILL IM UNSURE OF MY CHOICES, ANY HELP WILL BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED

<< extraneous comment deleted by Moderators >>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are your thoughts so far? We will not design this experiment for you, but we should be able to answer specific questions once you post your thoughts on how to set up the experiment.

I'm especially interested in how you plan to move things inside the vacuum chamber....

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    cant you just use a syringe???

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Use a syringe for what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook