1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics experiment

1. Apr 4, 2006 #1
    The purpose of this experiment is to construct an energy-collecting apparatus to concentrate as much energy from a provided 250 Watt heat lamp as possible. This energy is to be used to heat a mass of water. (the water will be given at a fixed temperature in a 35 mm film canister).
    The heat lamp will be positioned 1.2m above the floor and the construction of the apparatus can't be higher then 0.9m, and the film canister should be easily put in the apparatus and taken out.
    Anyone have any ideas???
    plz help...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A parabolic reflector (or two....) comes to mind

4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    parabolic reflector

ic.. but where should i position the parabolic reflector, since i can't do anything to the lamp given in this experiment.
    -as i understand im supposed to build some kinda box that will attract as much heat as possible in order to heat the water.

5. Apr 5, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The reflector should be below the canister, which must be a bit further away from its focus. Since you know the dimensions of the setup you can experiment with a visible source (candle?) to locate the optimum point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?