1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Experiment

1. Aug 8, 2004 #1
    I'm taking a correspondence course in physics, and I need to submit an experiment and report on it for each section I do. I'm now on my final section and final experiment but I just can't figure out how I'm going to do an experiment on any of these concepts. If one of you guys could point me in the right direction, or find me a link of some sort I would be so greatful. I've spent a lot of time searching the book and google for an experiment I could do without very specialized equipment, so far I can't find one.

Okay, here's the concepts I can do an experiment over:

-The uncertainty principle
    -Quantum numbers
    -Subatomic particles (I'm pretty sure experiments involving charge won't cut it)
    -The four basic interactions between particles
    -Conservation laws of particle physics
    -Mass, size, and charge of the electron
    -Wave particle nature of the electron
    -Relative positions of the atomic nucleus and the elctron shells
    -The nature of Isotopes
    -The relationship between nuclear binding force and nuclear mass defect
    -The effects of radioactive nulides on various substances
    -The nature of alpha, beta and gamma emmisions
    -Nuclear equations
    -The distinction between fission and fusion reactions
    -The requirements for a nuclear chain reaction
    -The role of nuclear reactors and the uses of radio isotopes

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2004 #2
    "Distinction between fusion and fission" experiment. Heh, that sounds like one that may be difficult to do on a shoe string.

A big question is what recources you have access to. For instance, Milikan's Oil Drop experiment is commonly done in university labs to show the charge to mass relationship of the electron. It is a pain... but still doable in a few hours, and the equipment isn't overly expensive. Is there a university nearby that might be able to help?

I have a hard time coming up with experiments concerning those topics that can be done with household items, though I'm sure there are plenty that are possible.

You do have to do the experiment, not just write a report on one that was done, correct?

4. Aug 14, 2004 #3
    what do you mean experiments. Do you have to do them or can the be alwready done by somebody else and you have to report on them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?