Physics Extended Essay Guidance

In summary, possible topics for your Physics Extended Essay could include analyzing the effect of surface texture on the aerodynamics of a golf ball or studying the physics of a football kick. Both topics offer opportunities for experimentation and analysis, and can also incorporate comparisons between different variables or materials to further enhance the research.
Ari_24
I will be starting my IB Extended Essay soon and desperately need help choosing a topic. I have taken Physics as my subject because I really enjoy it.
I am trying to combine physics with a sport because it will be more interesting for me. I had brainstormed a little, and found that golf and football(soccer) sounded very interesting. I thought about the equipment used in each sport, like the golf ball, clubs, the football, the football shoes etc. I could probably do an experiment on the effect of the surface of the golf ball or the movement of the football through the air, but these topics didn't sound very easy to perform. I also thought about the football kick, and how kicking the football from different parts affects the movement of the ball, the power and speed of the kick could also be useful factors, but it will be very difficult to keep things constant.
Does anyone have a good idea for a physics extended essay? If you think physics in sports is a good start can you please help me pick a topic and help me decide ways in which i could experiment on the topics.

Thank you for your time and help!

Physics news on Phys.org
One possible topic for a Physics Extended Essay could be analyzing the effect of surface texture on the aerodynamics of a golf ball. Specifically, you can compare the flight of a golf ball with different types of grooves and dimples on its surface. You can measure the ball's velocity, spin rate, lift, drag, and other parameters in a wind tunnel setup. This will help you determine whether the dimples and grooves have an effect on the ball's aerodynamics and performance. Additionally, you can also compare the performance of different types of golf balls (e.g., forged, cast, etc.) and study how the surface texture affects their performance. Another possible topic for your Physics Extended Essay could be studying the physics of a football kick. You can use a high-speed camera to capture the motion of the kick and analyze the force and spin of the ball as it is kicked. Additionally, you can also study how different foot placements and angles affect the ball's trajectory. You can also analyze the effect of different cleats on the ball's trajectory and spin. Finally, you can compare the performance of different types of footballs (e.g., leather, synthetic, etc.) and analyze how the material affects the ball's performance.

Related to Physics Extended Essay Guidance

1. What is a Physics Extended Essay?

A Physics Extended Essay is a research paper that explores a specific topic within the field of physics. It is a compulsory component of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme, and is typically 4000 words in length. It allows students to demonstrate their ability to independently research, analyze, and present information on a scientific topic.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Physics Extended Essay?

The topic of your Physics Extended Essay should be a focused question or problem that can be investigated using scientific methods and principles. You should choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have some prior knowledge about. It is also important to consider the availability of resources and equipment for your research.

3. What is the structure of a Physics Extended Essay?

The structure of a Physics Extended Essay follows a traditional research paper format, including an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by the IB and use appropriate scientific terminology and referencing styles.

4. Can I conduct experiments for my Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, you can conduct experiments as part of your research for a Physics Extended Essay. However, it is not necessary for all topics and can depend on the availability of resources. If you do conduct experiments, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and document your methods and results accurately.

5. How much time should I dedicate to my Physics Extended Essay?

The IB recommends that students spend approximately 40 hours on their Physics Extended Essay, including conducting research, analyzing data, and writing the paper. However, the actual time may vary depending on the complexity of the topic and the individual student's writing process.