1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Extended Essay

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    hi guys!!
    I'm doing my Extended Essay in Physics for IB diploma.
    Im thinking of relating robotics with physics.
    Physics must be the main theme for the essay and i should relate robotics into physics.
    Please help me guys.
    What are the topics that i can do?
    Please give me some ideas!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I would strongly suggest that you consult with your thesis advisor. I'm many years removed from the IB program (and I wrote, but ultimately did not complete, my extended essay in History) but you would need to find a very specialized topic in order to have it qualify, and it'd have to be more physics-y rather than technical or engineering (If I Recall Correctly). Something along the lines of, say, capacitive sensing for obstacle detection.

Alternately, something like simple control of a robotic arm, might qualify under Mathematics and Computer Science.

Again, and I can't emphasize this point enough, consult your advisor, and do it early (especially if you discover that you need to find another one). I didn't, left the topic far too long, and ended up not completing my extended essay (the relative indifference and hands-off philosophy of my advisor may also have played a part, but I probably could've gone to another advisor at my high school, had it been early enough).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook