Question: Is it worth pursuing a postdoc in finance as a physics Ph.D.?

In summary, the conversation is about a recent physics PhD who is having trouble finding job opportunities on Wall Street. They are considering doing a postdoc in finance to make themselves more competitive, but it is unclear if those positions even exist. The person is also planning on reaching out to business and finance professors for research assistant positions, but it is uncertain if they will be successful. There is also discussion about the competitiveness of quant jobs and the possibility that there may not be many opportunities in finance. The conversation ends with advice to focus on marketing and improving their resume, and to consider other industries such as car sales. There is also mention of the differences in funding between physics and business schools.
Iforgot
(In case you don't know me, I just finished a physics phd)

Based on my current job hunt, it appears that physicists are no longer highly sought after on Wall st. Physicists can get quant jobs, but the positions are highly competitive.

To make myself a more competitive candidate, I'm considering doing a postdoc in finance. This would also help me gain experience, get my hands dirty using SQL and other finance software, and hopefully develop some nice connections. The problem is, as far as I know, postdoc positions in finance do not officially exist.

I plan on sending emails to professors in business and finance indicating that I'm looking for a position as a research assistant. Here's a skeleton of what I plan on writing

1) I am applying for a position as a research assistant

2) Introduce myself and background.

3) I have an interest pursuing a career in finance

4) A little bragging about me, and how I can contribute to their research.

5) Demonstrate that I have read their research and find it interesting (this is a lot of work. Is there anyway to be seriously considered without doing this?)

other questions. Do finance and business professors have funding for research assistants?

Any one have any comments or advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iforgot said:
Based on my current job hunt, it appears that physicists are no longer highly sought after on Wall st. Physicists can get quant jobs, but the positions are highly competitive.

Quants are not being hired. People are being hired in large numbers for other things,.

Also the jobs aren't *that* competitive.

Question: How many resumes did you send out? If it's anything less than fifty, then you have a problem.

To make myself a more competitive candidate, I'm considering doing a postdoc in finance.

Bad idea.

1) More than likely the problem is marketing and resume, and you can fix that more easily than getting a postdoc.

2) Now suppose there really *aren't* jobs on Wall Street anymore. What's the point in making yourself more competitive for jobs that don't exist?

I plan on sending emails to professors in business and finance indicating that I'm looking for a position as a research assistant.

I don't think that you will have much success. Research assistants are reserved for Ph.D. candidates, and post-docs in finance don't exist. Pretty much any finance Ph.D. will get a job offer for a tenure-track position. The reason this is possible is that it's really hard to get into a finance Ph.D. program.

Also I don't see the point, you'll make more money and get more relevant experience selling used cars.

The funding for b-schools is very different than for physics.

1. What is a Physics -> Finance postdoc?

A Physics -> Finance postdoc is a postdoctoral research position that combines the fields of physics and finance. It involves using physics-based models and techniques to analyze and understand financial systems and markets.

2. What are the qualifications for a Physics -> Finance postdoc?

To qualify for a Physics -> Finance postdoc, one typically needs a PhD in physics or a related field, with a strong background in mathematics and statistics. Knowledge and experience in finance and economics is also beneficial.

3. What kind of research is typically conducted in a Physics -> Finance postdoc?

The research conducted in a Physics -> Finance postdoc can vary, but it often involves using physics-based models and techniques to study financial systems and markets, such as analyzing stock market data or developing new financial risk management strategies.

4. What are the career prospects after completing a Physics -> Finance postdoc?

Completing a Physics -> Finance postdoc can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as working in academia as a professor or researcher, or in the finance industry as a quantitative analyst or risk manager. It can also open up opportunities in government positions or in research institutions.

5. How long does a Physics -> Finance postdoc typically last?

A Physics -> Finance postdoc can last anywhere from 1-3 years, depending on the specific program or institution. Some postdoc positions may also have the option for renewal or extension.