Pursuing Astronomy Career: Physics or PhD?

In summary, it is recommended to obtain a PhD in astronomy for a career in the field. A BA in physics is also suggested as it provides a strong foundation for the PhD. It is advised to double major in physics and astronomy for undergraduate education or to find a physics department with research opportunities in astronomy. The physics GRE is required for most astronomy graduate programs and a strong background in physics is necessary for success in the field.
Uranus
I have been considering astronomy as a career choice. I read on yahoo answers that a PhD is the one way to go in terms of this option. There isn't much career options for just the BA. Also, it was recommended that I obtain my BA in physics for my PhD in astro, as I would be robbed of education linked to the field.. Are there any thoughts or recommendations for what to pursue in terms of astronomy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics might be a better option in my opinion to start off with. Because if you can't do astronomy, there's lots to fall back on.

For me i did math B.S. then decided i wanted to do physics, so I am working on my physics masters, which i feel will really help when for when i try to go into a astro phd. and I am doing astro research.

thanks very helpful

The best option for undergraduate education would be to find a school that is strong in both physics and astronomy and double major in those fields. It is true that if you HAD to just choose one, you would choose physics, but if you can do both then it will be more beneficial. Alternatively you can check to see if a given physics department has faculty doing research in astronomy, since that is pretty common too. Just make sure you will be able to get some exposure to research in astronomy as an undergraduate, as that will make you more prepared and informed for the graduate school process.

Almost all astronomy grad programs require the physics GRE, which requires a physics major to do well on (and even then most people don't do very well on it). Astronomy is a sub-field of physics; if you want to study astronomy, you need a lot of physics, even at the graduate level. A double major would be best, but don't worry about it if the school you go to doesn't offer astronomy as a major. Many do not, despite having astronomers on staff and offering astronomy classes.

1. What is the difference between pursuing a career in Astronomy with a focus on Physics vs. obtaining a PhD in Astronomy?

Pursuing a career in Astronomy with a focus on Physics typically involves completing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Physics, with a concentration in Astronomy courses. This type of career path may lead to positions such as research assistants, lab technicians, or telescope operators. On the other hand, obtaining a PhD in Astronomy involves completing a graduate program specifically in Astronomy, and typically leads to careers in research, teaching, or academia.

2. Can I pursue a career in Astronomy with a Physics degree or do I need a degree in Astronomy?

While a degree in Astronomy may provide a more direct path to a career in the field, many individuals with a degree in Physics or a related field can also pursue careers in Astronomy. It may be necessary to supplement your education with additional coursework or research experience in Astronomy to be competitive for certain positions.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Astronomy?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD in Astronomy can vary depending on individual circumstances and the specific program. On average, it can take 5-7 years to complete a PhD in Astronomy, with the first 2-3 years typically spent on coursework and the remaining time focused on research and completion of a dissertation.

4. What types of jobs can I get with a PhD in Astronomy?

A PhD in Astronomy can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions at universities or government agencies, teaching positions at colleges or universities, or positions in industry such as data analysis or consulting. Some individuals may also choose to pursue careers in science communication or policy.

5. Is a PhD in Astronomy necessary to work as an astronomer?

While a PhD in Astronomy is not always required for all positions in the field, it is typically necessary for careers in research, teaching, or academia. However, there are also opportunities for individuals with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Astronomy or a related field to work as technicians, observatory operators, or in other support roles within the field of Astronomy.