1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics for engineers

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1
    I didn't take any physics in high school, but I am currently taking physics 101. My prof recommends that we take phy 201 which is algebra based physics for med students before we take phy 211 for engineers and science majors. I don't mind taking the extra class, but would you guys recommend it? Is is necessary or just more beneficial?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know the structure of your courses, but are you sure it is not redundant? Is Physics 101 not also algebra-based physics? How much more advanced is 201? In the end, I think it depends very much on your individual situation. I'm assuming 211 is calculus based. Do you have a handle on calculus already? That's something to consider (not that 201 will help you at all in that respect). Are you doing fairly well in 101? Confident enough skip ahead to the good stuff? That's the key. It's all about what you're comfortable with. If you feel you need some extra revision, or don't want to rush things, then maybe you should takes the prof's advice. I'm not sure why he's giving it, but he definitely knows a whole bunch of stuff that I don't about the structure of your courses and about just how well 101 prepares you for what's coming next. So weigh these factors and make the judgement call.
  4. Feb 20, 2005 #3
    The reason your prof asked you to take phy 201 instead of jumping right into phy 211 is because physics 211 is:
    1) A more challenging course.
    2) More based on Calculus...
    People often find it difficult to jump right into physics because it is ALOT!!! of problem solving. My suggestion would be to take 201 just to get a better idea of how to solve problems with ease; then jump into 211. Remember that engineers physics will be tougher then the med school physics since it will involve more applied math and more complex problems...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?