How many people in the world have yet to make a phone call?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are many more applications of physics that have benefited the lower classes than upper and middle classes. However, there is a divide between those who are scientific leaders and those who are political leaders. There are also a lot of people who are scientific leaders but not political leaders. If we said to JC Maxwell, "hold it, before you continue, we have to come to a consensus on the work ethic," I don't think he could have contributed much to anything. The world will be better if we all do what we do best (and for the right reasons).
Loren Booda
We know much of how physics from Newton on has benefited the world's upper and middle classes, but how many of its applications have helped the lower classes survive?

Can we physicists retain a good conscience when so many of us support weapon systems or build frivolous gimmicks that define our materialism, rather than construct a consensus toward a humanitarian work ethic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up "Freeman Dyson"

Electric power, telephones, refrigerators, even televisions are a lot more widespread than among upper and middle classes.

Originally posted by mathman
Electric power, telephones, refrigerators, even televisions are a lot more widespread than among upper and middle classes.

That is what I was thinking, or maybe he was referring to the 90 percent of the world who do not have these things??

Nautica

The mobile phone - cheaper calls, faster availability, ... in developed economies everyone has one (the US and France are exceptions), in developing economies they make a significant contribution to economic liberation. If smartphones take off, the first experience that most people will have of a computer will be the mobile phone (better hope that Symbian beats Microsoft in the battle for the OS!)

When will 90% of the world's people have a mobile phone? Sooner than you might think!

Even in the poorest countries already >15% of all the population has acces to internet. Guess by whom the internet was developed...

I have heard that less than 1/2 of the world's people have ever made a phone call!

Was the "lower class" in a better condition before Newton? The average life expenctancy in Europe was, what, 33 wasn't it? What were the lower class called back then? Serfs, indentured servents, etc.

It appears that political progress and scietific progress are interactive, and one spurs the other. And I think that some people are scientific leaders not political leaders. IF we said to JC Maxwell, "hold it, before you continue, we have to come to a consensus on the work ethic, " I don't think he could have contributed much to anything. The world will be better if we all do what we do best ( and for the right reasons).

This is philosophy isn't it?

The young, the old, ...

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I have heard that less than 1/2 of the world's people have ever made a phone call!
It's a bit of an urban myth. First, even in developed economies, many children don't get to make phone calls until they're, what, 5? 10? In developing economies there are, to generalise, an awful lot more under-10s than in the rest of the world (both relative to the total population and absolutely). Let's say 15% are too young to call.

In all countries there are those who will never make calls in their entire lives, for many different reasons. Let's say 2%.

There's an urban/rural divide in most countries, and it ranges from ~95:5 in most developed economies to ~15:85 in the least developed. As an OOM, let's assume 50:50 for all developing economies, and assume the total population in those economies comprises 75% of the world's total.

As an OOM, assume all those not in the 17% (too young to call, will never call) in developed economies have all made calls, ditto those in urban areas in developing ones. Assume none of those in rural areas in developing economies have.

Total who've yet to make a call =
(.75 * .5) * .83 + .17 ~= 48%.

The more relevant number is those who are old enough to call but haven't yet done so, as a percentage of all those who could (and have). That's ~37%.

[edit: 50:50 for developing economies; not developed]

Last edited:

1. What is "Physics for the other half"?

"Physics for the other half" refers to a simplified and accessible approach to learning physics for those who may not have a strong background in science or mathematics. It aims to make the concepts and principles of physics easier to understand and apply in everyday life.

2. Why is it important to learn about physics?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It helps us understand how the universe works and how things around us behave. Additionally, many modern technologies and innovations are based on the principles of physics, making it a crucial field of study.

3. Do I need to be good at math to learn physics?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful in understanding some concepts in physics, it is not a requirement. "Physics for the other half" presents the material in a way that is more easily understandable, even for those who may not excel in math.

4. How can I apply what I learn in "Physics for the other half" to my daily life?

Physics is all around us, and the principles and concepts we learn can be applied to many aspects of our daily lives. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help us drive a car safely, and knowing about electricity and magnetism can help us understand how devices like cell phones and computers work.

5. Are there any real-world examples used in "Physics for the other half" to explain concepts?

Yes, "Physics for the other half" often uses real-world examples and applications to help explain concepts and make them more relatable. This can include examples from everyday life, as well as examples from technology, sports, and other fields.