What Are Some Basic Physics Equations for Calculating Motion and Energy?

In summary, the conversation involves questions on basic physics topics such as acceleration, velocity, displacement, momentum, and kinetic energy. The first question requires finding the velocity and displacement of a body with a given acceleration function. The second question involves calculating momentum using mass and velocity. The third question requires finding velocity, displacement, and kinetic energy of an object with a given acceleration. The last question involves finding the acceleration due to gravity and weight using a dropped object and its time and distance of fall.
toljin
Basic Physics

First post so be gentle :). I have a couple of questions :)

1) The acceleration of a body is given by a(t) = 4t3 + 3ms-2. Find its velocity and displacememt if v(1) = 0ms-1 and x(1) = 2m

2) Calculate the momentum of a mass of 10kg when its velocity is 8ms-1

3) An object of mass 5kg moves from rest with an acceleration of 0.15ms-2 calculate its velocity,displacement and kinetic energy 10 seconds later.

4) In an experiment to determine the acceleration due to gravity you drop a dall bearing, from rest, through a vertical distance of 45m and find it takes 3 seconds to reach the ground.Calculate the acceleration due to gravity and your weight.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Displacement = x(1) = 2m - initial position which is = 0 so displacement = 2m
Velocity = displacement/time <-- can't figure this out :/

2) 10 * 8 = 80 m/s

3) again I can't seem to figure this out

4) g = 2(45m)/3s^2 = 10ms^-1

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) For the velocity you integrate the acceleration; a = dv/dt.

(2) You must also provide the units!

(3) Use the constant acceleration of gravity near the surface of the earth.

toljin said:
First post so be gentle :). I have a couple of questions :)

1) The acceleration of a body is given by a(t) = 4t3 + 3ms-2. Find its velocity and displacememt if v(1) = 0ms-1 and x(1) = 2m2) Calculate the momentum of a mass of 10kg when its velocity is 8ms-13) An object of mass 5kg moves from rest with an acceleration of 0.15ms-2 calculate its velocity,displacement and kinetic energy 10 seconds later.4) In an experiment to determine the acceleration due to gravity you drop a dall bearing, from rest, through a vertical distance of 45m and find it takes 3 seconds to reach the ground.Calculate the acceleration due to gravity and your weight.
I believe your acceleration function is ##a(t)=4.t^3+3##, in SI units. you'll have to integrate the acceleration function to obtain velocity function. To evaluate constant of integration, use the given information.

toljin said:
2) 10 * 8 = 80 m/s

Check the units what should be the unit of momentum. you are multiplying mass and velocity.

3) An object of mass 5kg moves from rest with an acceleration of 0.15ms-2 calculate its velocity,displacement and kinetic energy 10 seconds later.
you have been given acceleration, if the acceleration is constant which equations should be applied?...Think, try to recall.

4) g = 2(45m)/3s^2 = 10ms^-1
Again check your units.

thanks I knew that I would have to integrate number one, Did I get the displacement right on number 1?

1. How is weight calculated?

Weight is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). This is represented by the formula W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the unit for weight?

The unit for weight is Newtons (N). This unit is derived from the formula W = mg, where mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and acceleration due to gravity is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. Why is weight often measured in Newtons instead of kilograms?

Weight is often measured in Newtons instead of kilograms because weight is a force and forces are measured in Newtons. Mass, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms.

4. How does weight differ from mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but they are actually different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

5. Is weight the same everywhere on Earth?

No, weight is not the same everywhere on Earth. The strength of the gravitational field varies slightly at different locations on Earth, so the weight of an object can vary slightly as well. However, these differences are very small and are not typically noticeable in everyday life.