Physics Forum software

• Thread starter caffeine
  • Start date
caffeine
What code is Physics Forums based on? Is this phpBB?

But most fascinating is using LaTeX in the posts. It's brilliant. Is that a "plugin" for phpBB? Or was it developed by the people who run Physics Forum?

Answers and Replies

Physics Forums uses vBulletin. LaTeX was implemented separately, I believe by chroot, one of the admins here.

What code is Physics Forums based on? Is this phpBB?

But most fascinating is using LaTeX in the posts. It's brilliant. Is that a "plugin" for phpBB? Or was it developed by the people who run Physics Forum?
If you want to see if there is a LaTeX plugin for phpBB, I suggest that you check their modification database.

There are a couple of LaTeX generators out there that render images that can be posted on message boards such as http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/index.php

I just found out that there is actually one LaTeX modification for vBulletin http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91545, but I cannot say if that is the one that physicsforums is using.

caffeine
The whole site is very impressive. Looks good, but still is *very* functional. Whichever group of people implemented it are very talented.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I put the LaTeX rendering into the site a long time ago, through some custom additions to the vBulletin source. Since, I've changed it into a "plug-in," so at least it won't be obliterated each time we do an upgrade. A number of other people have also implemented plug-ins that achieve similar functionality, but none of them existed when I first introduced the feature on physicsforums. :biggrin:

In truth, it still needs a little work, but it's mostly functional and I have very little time these days to hack on it. Thanks for the kind words, though. :smile:

- Warren