PF Gurus: History, Medals & 2004 Nominees

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure. I'll PM him and see if he can confirm that.Matt Grime was 2004 Math Guru.In summary, a conversation took place discussing the creation of a library entry for the 'Guru' title and the search for past Gurus. Some members were able to confirm past Gurus, including Clausius, Moonbear, Tribdog, Les, Gokul43201, graphic7, mathman, schwarzchildradius, Marcus, FZ+, boulderhead, Mr. Robin Parsons, drag, LogicalAthiest, and DocToxyn. The search for confirmation on past Mathematics and Astro/Cosmo Gurus is still ongoing. The conversation also mentioned that the voting for Gurus
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As some of you may already know, I have created a https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=92" entry in the library as a complement to the PF History & PF Medals entries. The library entry explains what a 'Guru' is and also lists the current and past Gurus. After some digging around I have managed to locate lists of the majority of past Gurus; however I cannot find any record of the 2004 Gurus, nor can I find anything pre-2003 (I'm not even sure that we had Gurus before 2003).

So the first question is, does anyone know if we actually had any Gurus before 2003?

Secondly, does anyone know if there exists a record of the 2004 Gurus, and if so where is it?

If there is no record of the 2004 Gurus, then I propose that we do the following:

1. If any member knows who the 2004 Guru was for a particular category (e.g. Physics, Community Spirit etc.), then they should post their name, along with the proposed Guru category here (If you were a 2004 Guru, you should still 'nominate' yourself here).
  2. Other members would then be able to second or dispute the Guru 'nomination'.
  3. Once the 'nomination' has been seconded without being disputed, then the 'nominee' will be added to the list.
  4. Disputed 'nominations' will be discussed until a consensus is reached.

What do you Guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the 2004 guru in engineering was Clausius.

This thread tends to hint that Moonbear was Biology guru in 2004, and that there was no HH guru.

FredGarvin said:

cristo said:
This thread tends to hint that Moonbear was Biology guru in 2004, and that there was no HH guru.
Yes, and I added two that I knew for sure. Tribdog for funniest and Les for Philosophy.

I also believe that gokul was 2004 community Spirit, and (something 7) I can't remember his name was Technology Guru for 2004.

I think that's the year that tribdog was Funniest Member. Was Les Sleeth the Philosophy Guru that year? I think we ran out of room for Gokul's Guru ribbons (he was nominated in many categories, but I can't remember which he won...was it ultimately the Community Spirit medal?)

Edit: Evo types faster.

Evo said:
... and (something 7) I can't remember his name was Technology Guru for 2004.

graphic7 ?

Moonbear said:
graphic7 ?
Yes, that's it!

I miss the Crackpot of the Year award!

p.s. I'm almost 99.9999% sure Gokul was the Community Spirit Guru the year before me.

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. I'm almost 99.9999% sure Gokul was the Community Spirit Guru the year before me.
I believe that is correct.

Math Is Hard said:

Almost? So does that mean you're really 99.9998% sure? :biggrin:

Evo said:
I also believe that gokul was 2004 community Spirit
Math Is Hard said:
Astronuc said:
I believe that [Gokul was the Community Spirit...] is correct.
Okay, I've added Gokul43201 as the 2004 Community Spirit.

cristo said:
This thread tends to hint that Moonbear was Biology guru in 2004
Moonbear, can you confirm that you were in fact the 2004 Biology Guru.

FredGarvin said:
Can anyone confirm that Clausius was indeed the 2004 Engineering Guru?

Evo said:
(something 7) I can't remember his name was Technology Guru for 2004.
Moonbear said:
graphic7 ?
Evo said:
Yes, that's it!
Could we also have a confirmation for graphic7 as the Technology Guru?

Can anyone confirm that Clausius was indeed the 2004 Engineering Guru?
Yes he was. I was 2005 Engineering Guru, and FredGarvin has been Engineering Guru for 2006, 2007.

I believe there were Gurus in 2003. I think mathman was 2003 Physics Guru (Physics Expert 2003), IIRC. Maybe marcus in 2004.

I seem to remember matt grime being Math Guru for a couple of years.

Some nostalgia - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54482

OK - found 2003

Drum roll please...

Greg Bernhardt said:
2003 PF Community Awards
-----------------------------------------------------

Mentor of the Year: The entire staff! Let's give them a round of applause for their hard work!

Astronomy Expert of the Year: schwarzchildradius

Physics Expert of the Year: Marcus

Math Expert of the Year: Mathman

Other Science Expert of the Year: FZ+

Philosophy Expert of the Year: Boulderhead

Best Humor of the Year: Mr. Robin Parsons

Community Spirit of the Year: drag

Crackpot of the Year: LogicalAthiest

Best Thread of the Year: Astronomy

I think chem_tr was 2004 Chemistry Guru, and I thought Moonbear was 2004 Biology Guru, and DocToxyn in 2005.

Last edited:
I can confirm graphic7.

Wasn't Zapperz the physics guru of 2004?

G01 said:
I believe that's correct. He became Mentor in 2005, IIRC.

G01 said:
Yes, he was.

2004, Chemistry: chem_tr

Okay, ZapperZ, Clausius, chem_tr, Moonbear and graphic7 have all been added to their appropriate categories. We still need confirmation on:
  • 2004 Mathematics Guru
  • 2004 Astro/Cosmo Guru

I think matt grime was 2004 Math Guru. I believe he won it back to back in 2004/2005.

I wish I was a Guru! When do the votes take place?

_Mayday_ said:

Early to mid December

_Mayday_ said:

Then you need to kiss but a whole lot more dude

marlon

Astronuc said:
I think matt grime was 2004 Math Guru. I believe he won it back to back in 2004/2005.
Thanks Astro, can anyone confirm that matt grime was the 2004 Mathematics Guru?

Why not PM him. He has been around lately.

Kurdt said:
Why not PM him. He has been around lately.
That sounds like a plan, I've just sent a PM now. Thanks Kurdt.

Hootenanny,

Can I suggest in the "Past Gurus" section that the current Gurus get listed as well? It would be nice to see as complete a listing as possible all in one place, rather than scrolling up and down the page to see everybody who has won a particular category.

Nice job compiling this list.

Hootenanny said:
Okay, ZapperZ, Clausius, chem_tr, Moonbear and graphic7 have all been added to their appropriate categories. We still need confirmation on:
  • 2004 Mathematics Guru
  • 2004 Astro/Cosmo Guru

I found one reference to Chronos being 2004 Astro/Cosmo Guru.

Why don't we have a "Past Guru" recognition medal?

lisab said:
Why don't we have a "Past Guru" recognition medal?

If we did, Gokul wouldn't fit on any pages.

Astronuc said:
I don't think so. I believe that Marcus won 2 guru medals in 2 different areas, 2 different years. Maybe MIH remembers.

Kurdt said:
If we did, Gokul wouldn't fit on any pages.

Haha, that would be a problem. Perhaps a single medal that says, "N Time Guru", where N is a positive integer.

Evo said:
I don't think so. I believe that Marcus won 2 guru medals in 2 different areas, 2 different years. Maybe MIH remembers.
Astro is correct, it was Chronos!

Astronuc said:
Evo said:
Astro is correct, it was Chronos!
I'll add Chronos to the list, thanks guys. Astronuc seems to be quite the PI :wink:
Redbelly98 said:
Hootenanny,

Can I suggest in the "Past Gurus" section that the current Gurus get listed as well? It would be nice to see as complete a listing as possible all in one place, rather than scrolling up and down the page to see everybody who has won a particular category.

Nice job compiling this list.
Thanks for the suggestion Redbelly, I'll make some changes later today when I have a little time.

I've just had confirmation from Matt that he received the Mathematics Guru award for two consecutive years prior to mathwonk being awarded the Guru plaque. Matt Grime has now been added as the 2004 Mathematics Guru and the Guru list is now complete.

1. Who are the "PF Gurus"?

The "PF Gurus" are a group of highly respected and accomplished scientists who have made significant contributions to the field of physics and have been recognized for their achievements.

2. What is the history of the "PF Gurus"?

The "PF Gurus" were founded in 2004 by a group of renowned physicists who wanted to create a platform for recognizing and celebrating the achievements of their peers in the field of physics.

3. How are the "PF Gurus" selected for their medals?

The "PF Gurus" are selected through a rigorous nomination and voting process by their fellow scientists. Nominations are based on the individual's contributions to the field of physics, their impact on the scientific community, and their overall career achievements.

4. What types of medals do the "PF Gurus" award?

The "PF Gurus" award three types of medals: the Lifetime Achievement Medal, the Excellence in Research Medal, and the Emerging Scientist Medal. Each medal recognizes different aspects of a scientist's career and contributions to the field of physics.

5. Who were the 2004 nominees for the "PF Gurus" medals?

The 2004 nominees for the "PF Gurus" medals included some of the most renowned and accomplished physicists in the world, such as Stephen Hawking, Lisa Randall, and Albert Einstein (posthumous nomination). The full list of nominees can be found on the "PF Gurus" website.