What Movie Will We Watch for Physics Forums Movie Night?

In summary, the movie "Night" will be selected by Evo for us to watch and discuss during the week of October 14th - October 21st. If there is interest, we can start suggesting movies now for the week of October 14th.
AJKing
Physics Forums Movie "Night"!

Hey everyone!

Evo gave me an idea;

Selecting a movie, as a group, for all of us to watch during a given week and then dissolving/discussing/commenting on it until the topic's dry.

A variable movie club!
It might be fun to do once a month or so.

If there's interest, then we can start suggesting movies here and now for the week of October 14th - October 21st.

On the 14th, I'll draw a movie title from a hat and that'll be that. Multiple suggestions for the same movie from different members means that movie's name gets put in the hat as many times as it's uniquely asked for :).

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds good as long as I like the movie :P

Princess Bride.

Evo said:
Sounds good as long as I like the movie :P

Any suggestions on making sure it's a good choice? Maybe the lottery system isn't best :P

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Is my suggestion

Tokyo Story.

Moon

Danish Nursing Students Go Wild.

Primer.

Almost certainly THE most incomprehensible movie I've ever seen. Makes for long, animated discussions. Doesn't hurt that it's Physics Sci-Fi (Time Travel).

Sounds like a good idea! We'd have to select a time that's reasonably good for most of the time zones represented.

Why not have this forum for film suggestions and after it becomes clear that we've got a few suggestions run a poll?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Danish Female Nursing Students Go Wild.

Always remember to make things clear, you wouldn't believe what I've come across.

Jurassic Park. Rawr.

Ryan_m_b said:
Sounds like a good idea! We'd have to select a time that's reasonably good for most of the time zones represented.

Why not have this forum for film suggestions and after it becomes clear that we've got a few suggestions run a poll?

It'd be really impossible to schedule, so we'd have to all just watch it when ever we could, hence movie "night" :P.

I like the idea of a poll.

How about I draw 3-5 movie names out of a hat on the 14th and we vote from there?

Note that it may take several days for some people to find and watch the movie.

Princess Bride.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Danish Nursing Students Go Wild.

Hahaha.
Also interesting; the first google result for that is you posting it.

Excellent idea. We could have "suggestion time" - everyone interested suggests a movie. Then voting time, when poll thread is set up, and then after say 24 hours, the vote is over and the next day is a movie day.

We're taking suggestions now, ladies and gentlemen.
Please post a suggestion

I'll pull 3-5 movie names on October 14th and then all of the 14th we can vote on the winner

Princess Bride - Inconceivable!

Serpico (1973)

I think Evo we should post the year as well.
There are many remakes and often the original version is way better than remake.

Here are some movies.
1 million BC

Borek said:
Note that it may take several days for some people to find and watch the movie.

We are so archaic in technology today. Where's the tech that allows a sort of living room style movie viewing among others on the same network?!

Mentalist said:
We are so archaic in technology today. Where's the tech that allows a sort of living room style movie viewing among others on the same network?!

It is not a technological, but a legal problem.

Borek said:
It is not a technological, but a legal problem.

I've watched movies with friends on the internet via livestreams before, is that illegal in some places?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Here are some movies.
1 million BC

You forgot 2012.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Here are some movies.
1 million BC

All sequals I assume!

Btw, watching all these in a row is a flipping brilliant movie marathon idea.

xAxis said:
I think Evo we should post the year as well.
There are many remakes and often the original version is way better than remake.
True, so far only one film version of Princess bride, it is the film's 25th anniversary, I can't believe it's that old.

It's one of the funniest movies of all time.

SHISHKABOB said:
I've watched movies with friends on the internet via livestreams before, is that illegal in some places?

Livestreams can offer only movies for which they have signed agreements with copyright owners. These agreements limit both territories to which movies can be served and the list of titles.

Just to note I've changed the name of this thread phys forum is a different forum :wink:

Collision earth
Ancient aliens

micromass said:
Collision earth
Ancient aliens
OOOH yes!

micromass said:
Collision earth
Ancient aliens

Add The Core and we're good.

FreeMitya said:
Tokyo Story.
I'm planning to get Tokyo Story from my public library. I watched Floating Weeds a few weeks ago--wow!