Physics Forums ratings killed every new year

In summary: I remember that. Very very cool. Isn't that about the time you turned...Edit: I don't know my Calculus though, sorry.
Pupil
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/physicsforums.com

Look at those drops! Apparently everyone is too busy popping champagne bottles open on the new year to help kids figure out projectile motion. I bet the trend will happen again in 2010! :eek: What will we do!? Who will explain to the Calculus I student that the +C at the end of an indefinite integral means the speed of light!? We're doomed!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll most likely be working so I will be here.

Edit: I don't know my Calculus though, sorry.

That graph appears a stationary, with a mean of about 0.015%.

The drop in 2009 was smaller than 2008 and using bit better extrapolation than this one:
extrapolating.png

the drop in 2010 will be more smaller/

P.S. I think the drop comes some time earlier than the new year (like during Christmas)
2) You need to select max from the drop down below the chart to see the drops.

pf_the_bloop.jpg

Are there that many people interested in "the bloop" that it should make the top 10 list?

OmCheeto said:
Are there that many people interested in "the bloop" that it should make the top 10 list?

I had to look it up to even figure out what it was.

The really cool people are here on New Years. It's the annual Nyquil (one of us is always sick) and Near Beer soiree.
:)

rootX said:
The drop in 2009 was smaller than 2008 and using bit better extrapolation than this one (xkcd image here) the drop in 2010 will be more smaller.
Why not go whole hog?
Mark Twain said:
In the space of one hundred and seventy six years the lower Mississippi has shortened itself two hundred and forty-two miles. That is an average over a mile and a third per year. Therefore, any calm person, who is not blind or idiotic, can see that in the lower Oolitic Silurian Period, just a million years ago next November, the lower Mississippi was upward of one million three hundred thousand miles long, and stuck out over the Gulf of Mexico like a fishing rod. And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty years from now the lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three quarters long, and Cairo and New Orleans will have joined their streets together, and will be plodding comfortably along under a single mayor... There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment in fact.

I like how on the side the "three month change" has -8% and then a down arrow...
Yes, I get amused by trivial things...

Anyway, what's with that drop in the May - August period? And where does this site get these statistics from? (I'm quite curious about the last one. I notice there is an editing button for the owner. Maybe it has something to do with that?)

Alexa traces traffic on computers with installed alexa toolbar.

May-August is summer, students keep themselves away from books and integrals.

The graph also shows a drop happening last fall, around October. Could have to do with our move to the new server.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I had to look it up to even figure out what it was.

As an ex-submariner, I was quite embarrassed to not know what it was, until I saw it wasn't heard until 1997. I got out in 1983. What's the name of our newest submariner? Ah ha! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2148032#post2148032". Let's ask him if there's been an increase in Bloop activity. He's a sonarman as I recall. He'd know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
The really cool people are here on New Years. It's the annual Nyquil (one of us is always sick) and Near Beer soiree.

Well, I haven't been a member for long so I am not sure if I qualify for the position... but I'm quite sick with a sinus infection so ill be lurking around the forums tonight! :tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:
Wow. Last years New Years chat was outstanding. :cool: What I remember of it. I think you were there. :confused:

dlgoff said:
Wow. Last years New Years chat was outstanding. :cool: What I remember of it. I think you were there. :confused:

But the St Valentine's Day one was epic...

lisab said:
But the St Valentine's Day one was epic...
I remember that. Very very cool. Isn't that about the time you turned green?

dlgoff said:
I remember that. Very very cool. Isn't that about the time you turned green?

A little bit before, I think...and IIR, that was when we went to an alt site to test its profanity filter. I will never see (a certain PFer) the same way again. Sigh...good times.

NBAJam100 said:
Well, I haven't been a member for long so I am not sure if I qualify for the position... but I'm quite sick with a sinus infection so ill be lurking around the forums tonight! :tongue2:

Awww. Hope you are feeling better. I've been laid up trying to heal a hurt leg, but I will hobble out to the patio and light some 4rth of July sparklers for us.

dlgoff said:

I think I was, too. But the details are fuzzy after all the near beer.

lisab said:
A little bit before, I think...and IIR, that was when we went to an alt site to test its profanity filter. I will never see (a certain PFer) the same way again. Sigh...good times.

mwaahaa haa haa! I think that was the same day there were about 10 of us in there cursing like a sailor's parrot*, when some stranger popped in the chat room and said "Hey! where did you all come from?" and we scattered liked a herd of gazelles. You could hear the "door shutting" sound effect go bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam as everyone fled the chat room. We thought we were busted.:rofl:

*strictly for research purposes, of course

Math Is Hard said:
mwaahaa haa haa! I think that was the same day there were about 10 of us in there cursing like a sailor's parrot*, when some stranger popped in the chat room and said "Hey! where did you all come from?" and we scattered liked a herd of gazelles. You could hear the "door shutting" sound effect go bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam as everyone fled the chat room. We thought we were busted.:rofl:

*strictly for research purposes, of course
<cough> I was only testing the filter so we could make suggestions to improve it. :redface:

Math Is Hard said:
Awww. Hope you are feeling better. I've been laid up trying to heal a hurt leg, but I will hobble out to the patio and light some 4rth of July sparklers for us.

Ah man, I hope your healing process is going better than mine, I am miserable. I am sure the sparklers were great! Thanks:smile: !

1. What are "Physics Forums ratings"?

Physics Forums ratings refer to the system used on the Physics Forums website to rate and rank the contributions of its members. This includes their posts, threads, and overall activity on the forum.

2. How are these ratings determined?

The exact algorithm used to calculate ratings on Physics Forums is not publicly disclosed. However, it takes into account factors such as the number of posts, thread views, likes, and other forms of engagement on the forum.

3. Why do the ratings "kill" every new year?

The phrase "killed every new year" is used metaphorically to indicate that the ratings are reset or recalculated at the start of each year. This is a common practice on online forums to give new members a fair chance to increase their ratings.

4. Do these ratings have any real-world significance?

While the Physics Forums ratings do not hold any official weight outside of the forum, they can be seen as a measure of a member's knowledge and contribution to the community. Higher ratings may also give members more credibility and influence within the forum.

5. Are there any negative consequences to the "ratings killed every new year" system?

Some members may argue that the rating system can create a competitive and sometimes toxic environment. Additionally, since ratings are reset every year, it may not accurately reflect the long-term contributions of a member.