Are there alternative paths to studying physics without a science background?

In summary: Bests.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a masters in physics without having a science background. The individual has a background in journalism and has been learning through online courses, but is looking for a formal education. However, due to the sequencing and prerequisites of the courses, it is difficult to condense the undergraduate degree into less than four years. The option of enrolling in a university as a non-degree-seeking student to take individual courses is also mentioned, but it is uncertain if this would work in the individual's country. The lack of community colleges in their country is also noted.
photonsabsent
Are there any foundation courses in physics for people who don't have any science background and want to do a masters? I last studied physics, chem, bio, math in high school, and then did a grad and post-grad in journalism. I have been learning through the Khan Academy and other online courses, but would like to get a formal education, without having to spend three to four years on an undergrad if possible. That would turn out to be really expensive. [And apologies for those who might find this repetitive, I did ask a similar question earlier, but I am specifically looking for course/program suggestions this time.]

Physics news on Phys.org
photonsabsent said:
would like to get a formal education, without having to spend three to four years on an undergrad if possible.

The thing is, a formal education in physics IS an undergraduate degree in physics. And that usually requires four years of study. You might be able to knock off a year by getting credit for electives, but in most cases the courses need to be done in sequence for them to make sense, so it's not really practical to condense the courses much further.

I see from your earlier posts that you're in India. In the US, one could conceivably enroll in a university as a non-degree-seeking student, and take the necessary undergraduate physics and math courses individually. This wouldn't lead to a diploma that says "B.S. in physics", but the courses and your grades would be listed on the academic record (transcript) which has to be submitted anyway when applying for graduate school. In the US, I think this might work, although I don't remember reading about anyone who actually did it this way. I have no idea whether this would work in India or whatever other country you're planning to study in.

As Choppy noted, even if you take only physics and math courses, you'd probably still need three years because of the sequencing of courses and prerequisites.

Choppy said:
The thing is, a formal education in physics IS an undergraduate degree in physics. And that usually requires four years of study. You might be able to knock off a year by getting credit for electives, but in most cases the courses need to be done in sequence for them to make sense, so it's not really practical to condense the courses much further.
That's what I'm hearing from most people, unfortunately. Thanks for your comment! Bests.

jtbell said:
I see from your earlier posts that you're in India. In the US, one could conceivably enroll in a university as a non-degree-seeking student, and take the necessary undergraduate physics and math courses individually. This wouldn't lead to a diploma that says "B.S. in physics", but the courses and your grades would be listed on the academic record (transcript) which has to be submitted anyway when applying for graduate school. In the US, I think this might work, although I don't remember reading about anyone who actually did it this way. I have no idea whether this would work in India or whatever other country you're planning to study in.

As Choppy noted, even if you take only physics and math courses, you'd probably still need three years because of the sequencing of courses and prerequisites.
Yes, that's a big problem. Science education is great in India, and I'd much rather study here (so much cheaper!). But there is no real concept of community colleges here.

Thanks for your comment!

1. What is the purpose of taking a physics foundation course?

A physics foundation course is designed to provide students with a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It serves as a prerequisite for more advanced physics courses and is essential for students pursuing degrees in physics, engineering, or related fields.

2. What topics are typically covered in a physics foundation course?

The topics covered in a physics foundation course may vary, but generally include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. Some courses may also cover topics in astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

3. Do I need a strong math background to succeed in a physics foundation course?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial, it is not always necessary to succeed in a physics foundation course. However, students should have a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, as these concepts are often used in physics problems.

4. What are some common challenges students face in a physics foundation course?

Some common challenges students face in a physics foundation course include grasping abstract concepts, applying mathematical principles to real-world situations, and understanding the relationships between different physical quantities. Time management and problem-solving skills are also important for success in this course.

5. How can I prepare for a physics foundation course?

To prepare for a physics foundation course, it is recommended to review basic math concepts, such as algebra and trigonometry. Familiarizing yourself with the scientific method and basic scientific notation can also be beneficial. Additionally, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can help you succeed in this course.