1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics- Friction Problem

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car traveling at 32 m/s flips over onto its roof and skids down the road. If the coefficient of friction between metal and the pavement is 0.42, calculate how far the car will travel before coming to a complete stop.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma, Force of Kinetic Friction= Coefficient of Friction x Normal Force

3. The attempt at a solution
    The car's initial velocity is 32m/s and its final velocity is 0m/s. Thus V0 is 32m/s and V1 is 0m/s. Given mass, acceleration, or time the problem would be simple. But given only velocity and the coefficient of friction I'm not even sure if this problem is possible.

Help?

EDIT: Solved.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    It is possible. Try using the equation for the force of friction to solve for the acceleration and watch the magic happen.

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    My god, how did I miss that?

So that leaves me with the equation acceleration=coefficient of friction x acceleration due to gravity.

Thanks a ton!

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4
    You need the mass of the car. tell whoever gave you that problem to clean up their act.

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5
    ?????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook