Calculating Forces in Car Accidents

In summary, the first question asks to determine the speed of a car based on the length of its tire marks and the coefficient of friction for the road. The answer involves calculating the acceleration and using the kinematic formula v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad. The second question involves calculating the force acting on a person in a car accident based on the car's initial velocity and the distance it travels before coming to a stop. The answer is found by using the formula F=ma. There may be some confusion about the calculations because the questions assume constant speed when in reality, the motion is accelerated.
PhysicBeginner
Hi everyone. I just finished 2 questions but I'm not sure if the answer is right. So can anyone help me check it?

The first question is:
"Police find the tire tracks of a car that lost control and caused an accident. They want to know if the car was speeding. They determine that μs=0.65 for it's tire on this road. The tire marks are 126m long. How fast was the car traveling?"

Answer:
Fcar(the force of the car)
Fcar= μsFn Fn=mg
Fcar= μsmg
Fcar=ma
ma=μsmg
cross out the m
a=μsg
a=0.65*9.8
=6.37m/s^2
d=vt
t=v/a
d=v*(v/a)
126=v^2/6.37
v=28m/s
The velocity of the car was 28m/s

The second question is "Calculate the force acting on the body of a 60kg person who is involved in an accident. His car hits a tree while going 15m/s. The car comes to a stop with the tree embedded 1.1m into it."

Answer:
t=d/v
=1.1m / 15m/s
=0.07s
a=v/t
a=15m/s / 0.07s
=214m/s^2
Fbrake(The force of the break)
Fbrake=ma
=60*214
=12840N
So the force acted upon the person is 12840N
I'm not really sure of question 2's answer cause it seems a bit too big.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you're doing wrong is assuming that [itex]d = v t[/itex] applies here. But that only applies when the speed is constant, which is not true here. You can use it, but you only if v is the average speed.

So are the answers and calculations correct if V really is constant?

If V really is constant, then the questions make no sense. :smile:

I recommend that you look up (or derive) the various kinematic formulas for uniformly accelerated motion. The formula that you need connects v, a, and d.

So does what you're saying apply to both question or only one of them?
Also is the formula i need v2^2=V1^2+2ad?

Last edited:
Both problems involve accelerated motion, not constant speed. And, yes, that's the formula you need.

Hey, PhysicsBeginner, by any chance do you go to school in Scarborough, Canada? I came here to ask about this same exact question that's in the booklet our teacher gave.

edit: After reading your other posts, I think you go to the same school as I do! Haha, how cheap.

edit2: Also, are his/her answers correct? Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness and irregularities of the surfaces in contact.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down or preventing it from moving at all. It also causes energy to be converted into heat, which can further decrease an object's motion.

3. What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on factors such as the type of materials in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a slippery layer between surfaces. Smoother surfaces can also decrease friction by reducing the amount of contact between them.

5. How is friction used in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and even writing. It is also used in various technologies, such as brakes in cars and the grip on shoes and tires.