Physics Friction: Find Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the problem involves finding the coefficient of friction between the catapult and the concrete floor while it is being dragged with a force of 79 N at an angle of 21° and an acceleration of 0.76 m/s2. The first three questions involve finding the components of the force and the normal force. The solution for these questions are Fx= 73.8N and Fy=28.3N for the force components and 190.2N for the normal force. The final question is to find the coefficient of friction (mu) between the concrete and the wood of the catapult. The equation for this is Ff= μ FN, where Ff is the force of friction and FN is the normal
xCrissyX

Homework Statement

While dragging your 22.3 kg catapult across the floor of your garage, you wonder what coefficient of friction is between the catapult and the concrete. If you accelerate your catapult at 0.76 m/s2 with a force of 79 N at 21°, find:

1. Find the components.
Fx=
Fy=
2. Force Normal: FN =
3. What is the coefficient of friction (mu/μ) between the dry concrete and the wood of your catapult? μ=

Homework Equations

kinematics2.jpg
where Vf= final velocity Vi= initial velocity a= acceleration t= time
kinematics3.jpg
x= distance in the x direction (can also be replaced with y in the y direction)
kinematics1.jpg

Fnet= ma (Net force= mass times acceleration)

Ff= μ FN (Force of friction= mu[coefficient of friction] times Normal Force)
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out the first three questions correctly;
Fx= 73.8N using mgcos(theta) (theta is the degree of the incline)
Fy=28.3N using mgsin(theta) (x and y the postions on a graph)
Force Normal= 190.2N using Fnormal+Fgravity+Fpull (sin theta)=0

I can't figure out how to find the mu between the concrete and the wood, I got 4.67 as my answer but the problem is telling me the correct answer is .2968. I know Ffriction is needed but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, since I was not given any equation for it. After finding that I would think just plugging that into the last equation to find mu?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xCrissyX said:

Homework Statement

While dragging your 22.3 kg catapult across the floor of your garage, you wonder what coefficient of friction is between the catapult and the concrete. If you accelerate your catapult at 0.76 m/s2 with a force of 79 N at 21°, find:

1. Find the components.
Fx=
Fy=
2. Force Normal: FN =
3. What is the coefficient of friction (mu/μ) between the dry concrete and the wood of your catapult? μ=
Fnet= ma (Net force= mass times acceleration)

Ff= μ FN (Force of friction= mu[coefficient of friction] times Normal Force)
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out the first three questions correctly;
Fx= 73.8N using mgcos(theta) (theta is the degree of the incline)
Fy=28.3N using mgsin(theta) (x and y the postions on a graph)
Force Normal= 190.2N using Fnormal+Fgravity+Fpull (sin theta)=0

There is no incline, the floor is horizontal. But you apply a force F which makes the angle of 21°with the horizontal. Fx and Fy are the horizontal and vertical components of your force. Apart of these, the results are correct.

xCrissyX said:
I can't figure out how to find the mu between the concrete and the wood, I got 4.67 as my answer but the problem is telling me the correct answer is .2968. I know Ffriction is needed but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly, since I was not given any equation for it. After finding that I would think just plugging that into the last equation to find mu?

Show your work in detail. What is the net horizontal force applied on the catapult?

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces and the intermolecular forces between them.

2. How is coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be determined by measuring the angle at which an object starts to slide on an inclined plane.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or adhesives. It can also be influenced by the temperature and humidity of the environment.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is crucial in designing and engineering machines and structures that require specific levels of friction for optimal performance.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in everyday life?

The coefficient of friction is used in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and sports. It also plays a role in household tasks, such as cleaning and cooking. Additionally, it is used in industries such as manufacturing and transportation to ensure the safe and efficient movement of objects.