1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics grad school

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    I'm a physics undergrad and have a GPA of about 3.824/4.3 in an Ivy league university. I have pretty good research experience with 2 publications so far. I was wondering what my chances are of getting into the best grad schools (MIT,Stanford, Caltech etc..) with this GPA, assuming I do fairly well on my Physics GRE.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    probably pretty good

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Without giving much specifics, you're a good candidate. The real question that gets missed by a lot of students is whether or not those schools are even good for you. At the graduate level, you're looking not at the university name, but the actual researchers in the department, who they are, what they're doing, if you're even interested in what they're doing, etc. Often the big names in the field don't go to the big name schools.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook