Plural of "Refractive Index": Debate

• Thread starter tomeatworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about the confusion over the plural form of the term 'refractive index' in writing a lab report. Some people suggest 'refractive indices' while others say 'refractive indicies' or 'refractive indexes'. The speaker acknowledges that spelling is important and thanks the expert for clarifying the correct form.
tomeatworld

Homework Statement

So I'm starting to write a lab report but I've hit a boundary in that I have inflicting opinions on what the plural of 'refractive index' is. I have some people saying 'refractive indices' and others saying 'refractive indicies' and a few people saying 'refractive indexes'. I'm pretty sure it's not the latter but i have no idea which of the first two. Spelling really does matter in this thing.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
tomeatworld said:

Homework Statement

So I'm starting to write a lab report but I've hit a boundary in that I have inflicting opinions on what the plural of 'refractive index' is. I have some people saying 'refractive indices' and others saying 'refractive indicies' and a few people saying 'refractive indexes'. I'm pretty sure it's not the latter but i have no idea which of the first two. Spelling really does matter in this thing.

Thanks in advance

It's index - indices (in American and Canadian)
It may vary in different versions of English.
And by the way, it's actually "grammar".

hahahaha. Oh the irony. Thanks a lot for the answer!

1. What is the plural of "refractive index"?

The plural form of "refractive index" is "refractive indices".

2. Why is there a debate about the plural form of "refractive index"?

The debate arises because "refractive index" is a compound noun, and there are different rules for forming the plural of compound nouns. Some argue that "refractive indices" follows the general rule for forming plurals, while others argue that it should be "refractives index".

3. Which form is more commonly used?

The plural form "refractive indices" is more commonly used in scientific literature and textbooks.

4. Is one form more correct than the other?

This is a matter of debate and personal preference. Both forms are accepted and understood in the scientific community.

5. Are there any other plural forms for "refractive index"?

Some scientists use the form "refractive indexes" as a plural, but this is less common and not as widely accepted as "refractive indices".