Where Can I Learn More About Physics Graphics Simulations?

In summary, the conversation discusses using graphics simulations to model physics and the request for resources to learn more about these types of programs. Some suggested search terms include methods for solving systems of Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs) and Hamiltonian Mechanics. The Open Source Physics website and a book based on the osp framework are mentioned as useful resources. The speaker also mentions their own blog and projects that involve graphics simulations in C++.
Frank Schroer
TL;DR Summary
Physics Graphics Simulation
Summary: Physics Graphics Simulation

I am interested in modeling physics using graphics simulations. I took a python course with CS majors and one of the assignments was to simulate a planet orbiting a star. That being said, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources that I could learn how to do more of these type of programs. For example, gravity simulations, pendulum, waves, etc. I am familiar with python, c++, mathematica, matlab.

Technology news on Phys.org
IMO learning by doing is the best way to approach this, so I'll give you some search terms.

Most of these things involve systems of Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs). Search for methods of solving them. Another related area is Hamiltonian Mechanics (also an ODE formulation), which is at the root of a lot of simulations (but it is quite "fundamental" and does not model bulk effects such as friction, air resistance). Chaotic systems are fairly interesting too.

There is a lot to learn, so I would suggest maybe going back to your orbiting planet and do it again using the Hamiltonian. While you are researching and doing this you will probably stumble across enough to keep you going for ever (especially if you get into Partial Differential Equations)!

[EDIT] Just a thought, Scilab has a few things that might be useful, wrapped up in a sort of IDE.

Last edited:
Likes Frank Schroer and jedishrfu
There’s the Open Source Physics website that has an extensive collection of java based simulations that use the osp java framework. There’s also a book based on the osp framework showing how they are used in different scenarios.

Www.compadre.org/osp

Likes Swamp Thing, Frank Schroer and m4r35n357
My blog has links to some resources: https://compphys.go.ro I have even a 'gravity simulator' with OpenGL graphics. There is also a molecular dynamics project with an 'event driven' simulation. The Lattice Boltzmann one could be also implemented for 3D (you would need cuda or OpenCL to do the calculations if you need 'real time'), what I have there is 2D only. One that is also with nice graphics is the ray tracing project which is basically geometrical optics. The associated projects are here: https://github.com/aromanro?tab=repositories The downsize is that the projects are implemented in C++.

1. What is "Physics Graphics Simulation"?

Physics Graphics Simulation is the computerized process of simulating real-world physics and applying them to create realistic graphics and animations. It involves using mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate physical phenomena such as gravity, motion, collisions, and fluid dynamics.

2. What are the applications of Physics Graphics Simulation?

Physics Graphics Simulation has a wide range of applications, including video games, movies, virtual reality experiences, and scientific simulations. It is also used in engineering and architecture for visualizing and testing designs.

3. How does Physics Graphics Simulation work?

Physics Graphics Simulation uses a combination of mathematical models, numerical methods, and computer algorithms to simulate physical systems. It starts with defining the physical properties and laws that govern the system, and then the computer calculates and updates the system's state at each time step to create realistic animations and graphics.

4. What are the benefits of using Physics Graphics Simulation?

There are several benefits of using Physics Graphics Simulation, including the ability to create highly realistic and immersive experiences, test and visualize complex physical systems without the need for expensive real-world experiments, and improve the accuracy and efficiency of simulations.

5. What are the challenges of Physics Graphics Simulation?

One of the main challenges of Physics Graphics Simulation is balancing accuracy and computational power. Creating highly realistic simulations can be computationally expensive and time-consuming. Another challenge is accurately representing the complex and sometimes chaotic nature of physical systems, especially when it comes to fluid dynamics and deformable objects.