Mastering Normal Modes: Tips for Solving Physics GRE Questions Quickly

In summary, the conversation is about finding tips for quickly solving normal mode problems on the GRE. The speaker mentions using a book called "Conquering the Physics GRE" and doing limiting cases and practice tests to improve. Another person recommends using an ansatz method to solve the problems quickly. The conversation ends with good luck wishes for the upcoming test.
Crush1986
I'm just looking for any tips one might have for finding normal modes quickly? The GRE always seems to have a question or two on them and I have no idea how they expect someone to do a problem like that in the time given.

I know that there is normally, in the problems given, a symmetric and an anti-symmetric mode. Is it honestly just knowing how the answers usually turn out maybe coupled with testing some extremes on the given answers?

Thanks, I'm taking it on Saturday. After taking the final practice test available I realized I always skipped those problems because I just didn't feel I had the time to work them out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a copy of "Conquering the Physics GRE"? I recall that about two pages in there taught me more about normal modes (in terms of finding them, and quickly) than reading through Taylor. I also got through the pGRE by doing limiting cases on those problems.

Dishsoap said:
Do you have a copy of "Conquering the Physics GRE"? I recall that about two pages in there taught me more about normal modes (in terms of finding them, and quickly) than reading through Taylor. I also got through the pGRE by doing limiting cases on those problems.
Actually, I believe I do! Thanks!

I got the book but didn't really like doing the problems from it much. I used it though to make sure I covered each of the sections. All the problems I found were a bit above the PGRE level of difficulty. I could do them but it took way too long. So I mostly focused on doing problems from Halliday and trying to memorize some of the formulas that I had forgotten over the years. Also I found doing all the practice tests helpful as I improved after each time. I'd do one then hit up some books working on the type of problems I missed most.

Thanks again.

Your studying method sounds great. Best of luck on Saturday!

Dishsoap said:
Your studying method sounds great. Best of luck on Saturday!
Thank you! If I can duplicate my last practice test i'll be fine. Hopefully the pressure doesn't get to me.

Oh wow, I do like the method they outline to use. Using the ansatz to quickly get to the secular equation. Definitely better than what I had in mind.

What is the Physics GRE and why is it important?

The Physics GRE is a standardized test that measures a student's knowledge of physics at the undergraduate level. It is often required for admission to graduate programs in physics, and some universities use it as a criterion for awarding fellowships or assistantships.

What are normal modes in physics?

Normal modes refer to the different ways that a system can vibrate or oscillate. In physics, these modes are important for understanding the behavior of various systems such as mechanical systems, electromagnetic systems, and quantum systems. Normal modes are characterized by their frequency and amplitude of oscillation.

How is the Physics GRE structured?

The Physics GRE consists of 100 multiple-choice questions that cover a wide range of topics in physics including mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. The test is divided into three sections: Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, and Quantum Mechanics. Each section is further divided into two parts, with each part containing 25 questions.

How can I prepare for the Physics GRE?

To prepare for the Physics GRE, it is recommended to review undergraduate physics concepts and practice solving problems using practice tests and study guides. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the test. Additionally, seeking guidance from current or former physics graduate students can be helpful in understanding the test and preparing for it.

What is the average score on the Physics GRE?

The average score on the Physics GRE varies from year to year, but it typically falls in the range of 500-600 out of 990. However, the average score for students admitted to top physics graduate programs is often higher. It is important to note that a good score on the Physics GRE is not the only factor considered in graduate admissions, as other factors such as research experience, recommendation letters, and GPA also play a significant role.