How Can I Score 900 or Above on the Physics GRE with Limited Study Time?

In summary, if you want to get a 900 or above on the GRE, you don't need to go beyond the basics like Halliday, Tipler's "Modern Physics", Schroeder's "Thermal Physics", HyperPhysics, Griffiths QM, Griffiths EM, and a brief chapter on positronium. However, if you want a score of 950 or above, you should study "Introduction to Elementary Particles" (Griffiths) and "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" (Reif).
Simfish
Gold Member
Okay, so, if you want to get a score that's 900 or above, do you have to go beyond the basic books like Halliday, Tipler's "Modern Physics", Schroeder's "Thermal Physics", HyperPhysics, Griffiths QM, Griffiths EM, and a brief chapter on positronium? What about a score of 950 or above?

Also, is "Introduction to Elementary Particles" (Griffiths) overkill? What about "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" (Reif), Atomic Physics (Foot), and Hecht Optics? What about the last few chapters of Griffiths QM (do they care about QM scattering?) And the last couple of Griffiths EM?

If you only have half a year left, is it also advisable to just do the quickest and easiest problems in the textbooks? (just skip all problems that have derivations or multiple steps?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I studied was to do practically all the odd 3-star problems in Halliday as well as most of the odd problems in Modern Physics by Beiser. Furthermore, after taking each of the 4 practice tests, I went through each problem and tried to think of quick ways of doing them, like testing limits, dimensional analysis, etc. I took it first without studying and got a 760. Then I studied for about 3 months using the above method and got an 890.

The way I studied was to download all of the old GRE exams I could find. Then I worked through the problems on an exam, and any I didn't know how to do I reviewed that topic until I understood problems of that type. When I was satisfied that I understood all of the problems, then I did another old GRE exam, which highlighted some more shortcomings. I kept doing this until I had taken all of the old exams I could find. I ended up scoring pretty well.

I studied by downloading all the released old exams.

I used two of the exams as references for the type of material covered. I then studied that materials until I knew it all cold.

Later I used the other two exams as practice tests and took them under test conditions.

I cannot give a definitive answer since the Physics GRE is a standardized test and the content may vary from year to year. However, I can provide some general advice.

Firstly, it is important to note that your score on the Physics GRE is not solely determined by the textbooks you study. Your understanding and application of the concepts is what matters most. Therefore, it is important to thoroughly understand the material in the books you have listed, rather than trying to cover as many books as possible.

That being said, if you are aiming for a score of 900 or above, it is likely that you will need to go beyond the basic books. This may include additional resources such as study guides, practice tests, and online resources. It is also important to focus on your weaker areas and practice solving problems in those topics.

As for a score of 950 or above, it is difficult to say for sure what additional resources may be needed. It may depend on your individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as the specific content covered on the test. It may be helpful to consult with others who have achieved a high score and ask for their advice.

Regarding the specific books you have mentioned, it is difficult to say whether they are necessary for a high score. It ultimately depends on how well you understand the material and how effectively you can apply it on the test.

As for the last few chapters of Griffiths QM and EM, it is always beneficial to have a thorough understanding of these topics, as they are fundamental to many areas of physics. However, it may not be necessary to study them in depth if you are short on time.

In terms of skipping problems that involve derivations or multiple steps, this is a personal decision and may depend on your strengths and weaknesses. It may be helpful to practice a mix of problems, including some that require multiple steps, in order to improve your problem-solving skills.

Overall, the key to success on the Physics GRE is to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and to practice solving problems. It may also be helpful to consult with others who have taken the test and ask for their advice and study strategies. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of the Physics GRE book questions?

The Physics GRE book questions are designed to help students prepare for the Physics GRE exam, which is a standardized test used by graduate schools to assess applicants' knowledge and understanding of physics. These questions cover a wide range of topics and are meant to simulate the types of questions that students may encounter on the actual exam.

2. How can I use the Physics GRE book questions to study effectively?

To use the Physics GRE book questions effectively, it is important to first understand your strengths and weaknesses in different areas of physics. Then, you can focus on practicing the types of questions that you struggle with the most. It is also helpful to simulate test conditions and time yourself while answering the questions.

3. Are the Physics GRE book questions similar to the questions on the actual exam?

Yes, the Physics GRE book questions are designed to be similar to the questions on the actual exam in terms of difficulty level and content. However, the actual exam may have some variations in terms of the specific topics and types of questions asked.

4. Can I use the Physics GRE book questions as my only study material?

The Physics GRE book questions can be a valuable study tool, but it is not recommended to rely solely on them for your exam preparation. It is important to also review your class notes, textbooks, and other study materials to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.

5. How can I access the Physics GRE book questions?

The Physics GRE book questions can be purchased from various online retailers or at your university's bookstore. You can also find free practice questions and sample exams online from reputable sources such as the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website.